vintage Chris craft electrics

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

chriscraft
CMBA Member: 0

vintage Chris craft electrics

Post by chriscraft »

advice needed; My 1936 chris craft runs the original 4 cylinder hercules motor which has the original dynamo fitted this is an autolite unit and unforuntunatly the dynamo has burnt out, so looking for a replacment, so far have found that there is a direct alternator replacment available from a nice chap in conneticutt ( quite costly!) probably a new / recon available again from usa, possible rebuild the existing unit in uk cost a lot more than you would think nearly on a parr with aforementioned usa deals, lucas units dont fit as it has a 3 inch body which fits into a clamp bracket, have noticed a couple of new members with similar Chris crafts does anybody have any alternate suggesttions before I spend the dosh in the states, even a used unit may be salvageable more than mine, let me know cheers David :drink:
that bloke up north !

LaDauphine

Re: vintage Chris craft electrics

Post by LaDauphine »

D - what about our friend in aylesbury? Alternatively, there will (surely) be plenty of places that will be able to recondition or rewind the dynamo at sensible price? I can't believe that reconditioning in the UK will be as costly as buying and shipping from the US....

R

solitaire
CMBA Member: 511

Post by solitaire »

Not sure if this guy is still around, but about 10 years ago - they did a good job rebuilding a Chrysler Crown dynamo for me

Chrimore Ltd
Richs Sidings
Broadway
Didcot
Oxfordshire OX11 8AG

Telephone: 01235 816473 Fax: 01235 816473 Category: Auto Electricians

chriscraft
CMBA Member: 0

Post by chriscraft »

Hi R been in touch with wosp they dont have an alternator unit that will fit into such a small body, and have had som e right daft prices to rebuild so far. thanks Andre i will try your oxford contact cheers david
that bloke up north !