Fuel tank size

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

mad millie
CMBA Member: 0

Fuel tank size

Post by mad millie »

Can I ask on what size your fuel tanks are especially those of you running 30hp plus....
I've had a 22 litre in my broom Saturn with a 8hp engine, but now I've 30 Yamaha on the Back I will want to do some lakes or tidal Waters.
or does it need to be a simular weight to off set the battery?
Or does it not really matter :) !
Kind regards
Jon....

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Re: Fuel tank size

Post by Alacrity »

Personally I like to carry plenty of fuel so my little Broom has 2 x 22l tanks to feed its Merc 650 4 pot if I am doing anything that involves any distance or 'offshore' stuff. The thought of running out really puts the willies up me.

I recall when doing the Irish event last year they said 'we will take a run to Shannonbridge for lunch' so of we went. I had one tank full & the other about 3/4 full. On & on we went on a fantastic high speed run along the Shannon but after a while I did begin to wonder how much further we had to go, my worry being that if I was on the full tank & only just made it we wouldn't have enough fuel to get back on the other tank! Turns out I was not alone with several folk seeking out fuel when we got there, I was OK though as I went there on the 3/4 full tank it turned out. It turns out this sort of distance (nearly 20 miles) is normal over there whereas it isn't to us, they didn't realise so never thought to mention the distance!
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

Healey75

Post by Healey75 »

As Alacrity says.... 2 tanks. For peace of mind, you could get a half size 10 litre approx OMC tank as the second reserve tank and fit the correct connectors for your engine, I've got a 40 litre inboard tank and a 10 litre OMC spare on the Healey Sprite (not Colliwobble!)... and you can always come back slowly to save fuel, better than paddling or a tow.
Growing up is optional...

se7en
CMBA Member: 434

Post by se7en »

We have 55 liter tank on 'Jade' , so far,we have never had any issues regarding 'running out', if you have 30+ h.p. you need to think about carrying two 22/25 ltr tanks, As healey 75 said 'its easier than paddling "