Cable to teleflex steering

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Woodwych
CMBA Member: 0

Cable to teleflex steering

Post by Woodwych »

Originally steering set-up was cable and pulley but I'm wondering about converting to the teleflex light duty.
IMG_0710.jpg
Would the teleflex system fit behind the existing binnacle,the teleflex shaft doesn't look long enough to fit through or would it need to go?
How would the wheel attach? At the moment the steering column (that connects to the cable drum behind) is threaded at the end and a large nut holds the wheel on and is hidden behind the plastic cover..
Binnacle side on
Binnacle side on
Any help gratefully received

se7en
CMBA Member: 434

Re: Cable to teleflex steering

Post by se7en »

The teleflex system will not go throught he original chrome dash mount without modifcation, it could be made to do so, but it may be a lot of engineering, however, the original wheel should fit.

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Re: Cable to teleflex steering

Post by Rapier »

Not sure the wheel will fit, it has it's own central shaft, rather than the 3/8 taper most have - seem to remember mine being fixed and it's back together in the garage so can' check.

As an aside it's an Attwood Seaflite ca '59 and very rare. In all my years of looking everywhere I've only ever seen 3. My ladder missing rung analogy still applies...

http://bigfinboats.com/forums/index.php ... l__attwood
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...