Can anyone rescue my sad little boat :-(, 1965 freeman 26

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

ipsden
CMBA Member: 0

Can anyone rescue my sad little boat :-(, 1965 freeman 26

Post by ipsden »

my boat is a 1965 freeman 26 "Lady Gwendoline"

HI, I don’t know anyone can help me, or have some suggestions, I really need an engineer who is familiar with my engines and gearboxes, they are ford watermota 1.5cc marinised ford Cortina/Anglia engines with parsons gearboxes, I have now spent £15000.00 in total as the gearboxes were completely overhauled twice in Southampton, but a seperate engineer upon the thames who put them back into my boat wreaked them reinstalling them this engineer also decided to recondition the engines and used the wrong size pistons so the engines just smoke and sound like sewing machines and the gearboxes don’t go into gear, basically I have nothing to show for this £15000.00 just a nightmare, I really want to see if anyone can take My boat on as a project or a professional experienced man/team who could put the engines and gearboxes on a bench and in a completely German way, go through meticulously, finding the elements that don’t work and replacing them, I know a lot of the parts seem to be available still and from what I could see the gearboxes have all new parts inside, it might be that the gearboxes are ok and weren’t aligned properly and just the engines need reconditioning, the boat is currently out of the water in caversham marina

If you have any engineer contacts I would be so grateful, I notice under watermota engine discussions, there is a man who worked on ford watermota engines in the 1960’s, and comes from fifield, oxford, well I,m in Wallingford so not far away, he might have someone he knows, or could help

Also has anyone got any suggestions for other engineers apart from Sheridan marina, moulsford, as it would be a shame to scrape what is a really well made boat, and maybe some independent blue sky's thinking engineer out there can bring it back to life and see what went wrong along the way when it was supposedly being restored, basically anyone feel like rescuing my sad little boat :-(

Many thanks
Kind regards

Alexander
Oxfordshire
ipsden

Bigherbert

Re: Can anyone rescue my sad little boat :-(, 1965 freeman 26

Post by Bigherbert »

Hi Alexander -is your boat still looking for a new home. Regards a.

Howstar

Post by Howstar »

Maybe it time to go far a brand new engine.you seem to be throwing good moey away ,and call it a draw .I sorry but you have to step back and have 2nd look at it .or is it worth it. You can try small claims court if you can prove they put th
e wrong pistons in

Howstar

Post by Howstar »

And dont forget you looking at engine that fitty years old and was built only last about :woo: 78000 miles