Whats your polish?

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

floater
CMBA Member: 90

Whats your polish?

Post by floater »

Having had my boat's gell coat professionaly re cut I want to keep it looking smart and prevent it fading to it's previous condition. I am currently using 3M ultra performance paste wax http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/e ... 3763TK99bl
but find that it is not easy to buff it all off to a high shine which may just be me being too heavy handed with the application.

I had previously been using Autoglym silicone resin polish but changed to a marine product hoping for better durability and UV resistance.

Does anyone else have recommendations for a good long lasting polish for gell coat?

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Re: Whats your polish?

Post by Alacrity »

Mines not very good but I am learning fast from my Polish lads. Dobranoz! :roll: :roll: :roll:
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

:perfect:

I've use Meguiers after the gel's been buffed up and have heard Starbrite are good too.

http://www.meguiars.com/en/marine/produ ... -pure-wax/
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Music Man
CMBA Member: 762

Post by Music Man »

A Pollymer based product is reasonably effective after the gel is prepared ie, Buffed and polished, BUT if you buy products such as Supagard off ebay average price a £1.00 or £2.00 you really should remove the waxes you have polished with prior to applying the Pollymer otherwise the Pollymer will come off with the wax.

The best Product on the market at the moment is G-3 Glasscoat this is a liquid glass which has excellant UV protection and is totally impervious to solvents and acids so sea water and TFR type products wont touch it but again waxes must be removed.

Very hard to get hold of you need a freindly valeter at a Renault, Suzuki or hyundai dealership.

P.M me if you wish to discuss further.

Supagard is OK and easily bought off ebay but Glasscoat is the best. :woo: :woo:

:wot:

mad millie
CMBA Member: 0

Post by mad millie »

Hi
I run a Valeting company and I regularly mop and polish boats and by far and cost that Collinite 476 paste wax or insulator wax which is liquid is fantastic, this stuff is absolutely bullet proof while leaving a deep shine.
I have used it for years and they do a boat version but I think that basically they are the same! Nothing touches it not even my tfr or multi purpose sprays or sun uva,a pot of it has lasted me a year and I put it on every car or boat.
I can send you there number and they are based in Norfolk.
One thing I found with a freshly mopped gel coat it will dull very slightly if the boat is of an age!
Hope this helps
Jon....