Metabo sander cost more than the boat!

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Tarquin
CMBA Member: 0

Metabo sander cost more than the boat!

Post by Tarquin »

I set about the Batboat with a bit of high grit sandpaper last weekend and as she has about 5 coats of broom applied paint scratched less than 18" of top deck in half an hour or so.

Having failed to persuade the wife that helping would be 'good exercise for her bingo wings' I set off in search of assistance and by way of recommendation bought this little baby...http://www.angliatoolcentre.co.uk/metab ... d1063.html

Not quite what I paid for the boat but for £160 I expect to be strapping myself to the transom on hitting the start button. :wild:

I'll let you know how I get on :geek:

sean-nós
CMBA Member: 793

Re: Metabo sander cost more than the boat!

Post by sean-nós »

Orbital sanders are great and worth every penny :thumbsup: but mentioning bingo wings is a complete no no and can put a stop to anything to do with boats :hilarious: after a few days of hearing the sander going with the boat acting like a loud speaker :D you will be lucky if she ever talks to you again so be nice even if it kills you :hilarious:

floater
CMBA Member: 90

Post by floater »

I have had a Bosch 115mm dia version since winning it in a competition in Motor Boats Monthly about 20 years ago. Brilliant tool always using it. gentle enough for flatting paint between coats (brush) brutal enough to strip the paint off the trailer.
Hope yours performs as well as hoped. Perhaps you could let your wife use it on her bunions :giggle:

Tarquin

Post by Tarquin »

sean-nós wrote:Orbital sanders are great and worth every penny :thumbsup: but mentioning bingo wings is a complete no no and can put a stop to anything to do with boats :hilarious: after a few days of hearing the sander going with the boat acting like a loud speaker :D you will be lucky if she ever talks to you again so be nice even if it kills you :hilarious:
She wanted to kill me when it arrived on the drive. It was delivered on the Saturday. On Friday night she still thought I was joking :wild:

Tarquin

Post by Tarquin »

floater wrote:I have had a Bosch 115mm dia version since winning it in a competition in Motor Boats Monthly about 20 years ago. Brilliant tool always using it. gentle enough for flatting paint between coats (brush) brutal enough to strip the paint off the trailer.
Hope yours performs as well as hoped. Perhaps you could let your wife use it on her bunions :giggle:
This particular one was recommended by a cabinet maker friend.

I thought that all sanders shook and that the price difference was all about name and build quality.

The one i've got has dual orbit, 3.5mm to 6mm range (from memory) 6 speeds and is really sturdy so will be put to good use on the boat and round the house.

The missus doesn't have bunions, just hammer toes, dry heels and stubby nails. What do you recommend...60 grit? :hilarious: