Broom Gemini

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Broom Gemini

Post by Rapier »

Does anyone know how much keying up of gelcoat one would do to spray a boat with flip paint? And the best way to remove said flip paint without damaging the gelcoat further? Acetone? Aparently it's flaking off though (too much silicone polish from yours truly :hilarious: ), so may not need much effort.

The boat was stolen off the driveway of the chap I sold it to, in 2009. He asked me to keep and eye out for it, and or, the '67 Merc 350 it had on the back. It pitched up on ebay in July 2011, completely disguised but obvious to me by various trailer bits I'd added and a lot more I'd done over the years I'd had it. However, by the time Surrey police got there it had been sold (out of ebay) and the evidence had gone. Cue a week ago when I saw it up on ebay again and notified the chap. Again the police were almost too late, but they investigated and it's about to be recovered. It had been sold via conventional auction with other goods, so the ebay vendor has recourse, I understand.

Here are a few before and after pics -
Attachments
Picture 224 (Medium).jpg
IMG_2183 (Medium).JPG
Picture 202 (Medium).jpg
gemini01.JPG
gemini04.jpg
gemini03.JPG
gemini02.JPG
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

se7en
CMBA Member: 434

Re: Broom Gemini

Post by se7en »

It all depends on how well the person who sprayed it keyed it up, if its a 2 pack acrilic, which is most likley as its a 'flip flop' finnish, there is nothing I know of that will remove it without possible damage to the sudstraight, I think there are two options, D.A. it off going down through the grades of paper, then, mop it, or soda blast, then mop. anybody got any other views..?

I'm not a fan of 'Flip Flop finnishes, however, whoever stoll it and painted it should sit down and do a few sums, Flip Flop is around £90 a litre, you will need a couple of litres, add to that the cost of any primer used and labour, this respray could be worth £1000..... he could have bought a boat for that....... :?
Last edited by se7en on Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scandal
CMBA Member: 538

Post by Scandal »

Wouldn't it have been much easier and probably cheaper to buy a Broom Gemini than spend all that time and money making a worse boat. :grrr: The mind boggles, :grrr: but at least we know not a lot get's past Rapier, sharp by name and sharp by nature. :perfect:

Please have a good look at all my boats and trailers just in case any disappear, mind you with the rotten weather this year, I think I might prefer the insurance money. :hilarious:

regards

Al :help:

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Thanks Se7en, I think I'll get him to bring it down this way and I'll have a good look. Was always my thought too re paint cost and effort....must have taken ages to prepare ...and disguise the trailer and the galvanised bits were painted. And an expensive Merc 350 disappeared to be replaced by I think a Mariner Marathon 25hp l/s (?), Have sent him in the direction of Duncan Walker for a positive id...

Here's to a sunny Cardiff though...no need to get rid of boats, am now on holiday and can do the 'neked' rain dances needed for some 'hot' weather. My life is at stake..we're camping and this is not Lake Como.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...