Fibreglass Repair?

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Tarquin
CMBA Member: 0

Fibreglass Repair?

Post by Tarquin »

I've been looking at YouTube videos about fibreglass repair and there seems to be a couple of methods...

Pic attached of the damage I have to tackle tomorrow. There's an obvious hole and a further crack about 6 inches long around the nose.

1. Grind away all of the offending area and rebuild.

2. Grind away enough to make the area tidy enough to accept fibreglass at the back and filler at the front. This seems favourite?

I can get to the back although it may be a bit fiddly.
Attachments
Boat damage.jpg

sean-nós
CMBA Member: 793

Re: Fibreglass Repair?

Post by sean-nós »

I would go with 2 and put a few layers of cloth or mesh on the inside then grind out any cracks into a u shape and fill them, some people drill a hole at the end of each crack to stop it spreading. When filling the large hole build it up with bits of cloth cut to the size of the base of the hole getting bigger as you get near the surface.
Good luck,enjoy the sanding :D

Tarquin
CMBA Member: 0

Re: Fibreglass Repair?

Post by Tarquin »

sean-nós wrote:I would go with 2 and put a few layers of cloth or mesh on the inside then grind out any cracks into a u shape and fill them, some people drill a hole at the end of each crack to stop it spreading. When filling the large hole build it up with bits of cloth cut to the size of the base of the hole getting bigger as you get near the surface.
Good luck,enjoy the sanding :D

Thanks...

On closer inspection there has been some remedial work carried out before using chicken wire!

What I thought was original glassfibre is actually filler but is strong and will tidy up ok.

The support timbers under the front deck are in good nick but the fibreglass covering is brittle and blown so i'll be sorting those out and will probably put a bulkhead in about 18" from the bow and inject the void with foam.

Pics to follow as we progress...