Skewed keel fin

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Tatra Man
CMBA Member: 825

Skewed keel fin

Post by Tatra Man »

So why is the keel fin on 2003 skewed when that on 2002 is straight? It's a hefty piece of steel and there's no damage to the hull or even the retaining screws and nuts. It's not like it's been dinged at one end either - it's bent to port at the front and starboard at the back!

I hope my new Alpine floats better than my old one!

sean-nós
CMBA Member: 793

Re: Skewed keel fin

Post by sean-nós »

It's just a wild guess but would it act like a propeller as in when the water passes by it holds the hull to the water and helps to stops porpoising. :hmmm:

Tatra Man

Post by Tatra Man »

My thought is that the way it's skewed, it would tend to put torque on the keel clockwise and hence counteract the weight of a single occupant but the single occupant counteracts the torque of the engine anyway. Put two people in and that skew would just add to the reaction torque of the engine and only make matters worse.

It has been suggested that she's been beached and I can see that turning her round with that fin in the sand would tend to twist it but it's a damned thick piece of steel and the skew looks to have been put in on purpose.

Good buy

Post by Good buy »

It has hit the cross member of the trailer !

Howstar
CMBA Member: 0

Post by Howstar »

it so you can go round left hand corners faster.

your best bet would be to stick it in the sand and turn it the other way to straight it up.

haventaclue
CMBA Member: 924

Post by haventaclue »

It's twisted.Two pieces of box iron,slightly longer than the fin,a couple of G clamps,clamp the fin between the box iron and twist it back.
no matter how bad it is,it can always get worse,I'm an optimist

Tatra Man

Post by Tatra Man »

Looking at it again, the first inch next to the hull is actually straight. The kink then starts after that first inch so it looks like it's been done on purpose.