Gelcoat filler and damage filler?

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Tarquin
CMBA Member: 0

Gelcoat filler and damage filler?

Post by Tarquin »

What recommendations would you have for simple gelcoat repairs, 5mm nicks etc., and to fill a 4" bash on the bow?

The latter will need some fibreglass work behind so looking for something to fill the remaining indent that is easy to work and sand.

I've Googled Plastic Padding which I remember as being rather unforgiving and tough as old boots when it comes to sanding!

sean-nós
CMBA Member: 793

Re: Gelcoat filler and damage filler?

Post by sean-nós »

The gelcoat repair kits are the best thing for the job the trick is to get it as smooth as you can and don't over fill the repair, I find if you force a small bit of clean stiff plastic over the repair till the gelcoat sets you will get a good finish with little sanding .

This is the one I use.

But you can also get coloured ones to match up to your gelcoat and the plastic package it comes in is perfect to hold over your work :D

Tarquin
CMBA Member: 0

Post by Tarquin »

Thanks Sean,

I'l give the PP a try..
been on their site and they say it's easy to sand so either my memories fading or they've improved this aspect :hmmm:

Tremlett 15
CMBA Member: 73

Post by Tremlett 15 »

Tarquin wrote:Thanks Sean,

I'l give the PP a try..
been on their site and they say it's easy to sand so either my memories fading or they've improved this aspect :hmmm:

Yes it is easy to use..... try to apply it as evenly & smooth as possible, :juggle: then it can be rubbed down with wet & dry using a few grades & ending with 1500 grade ( I think, ) and finish it with cutting compound, have used it on our cruiser & a mates boat.

:wot:

:drink: