Delta Help

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

solitaire
CMBA Member: 511

Re: Delta Help

Post by solitaire »

It's a mystery, - did any build records survive?
- just for the records - the skin tanks were marginal for cooling the V6 and I added a bit more surface area in the form of a tubular Bowman, aft and between the tanks - It runs much cooler now

plusfourplus
CMBA Member: 0

Post by plusfourplus »

Thanks for all the comments and advice everyone!

I measured the wooden spacer on my boat and it's 1.5". Although the engine is not currently installed correctly in the boat (another thing I'm going to have to sort out!), I think the crossflow engine is original, as I can't see any evidence on the transom of another exhaust outlet that's been fibreglassed over, which I'm guessing there would be if it'd had a V6 originally.

My mistake with the vertical supports in the stern - I clambered into the hull last night and had a better look and they are plywood covered in GRP. Again it begs the question that if this was a factory mod, surely they would have taken the trouble to extend them all the way up to the deck? On the other hand, why would someone go to all the effort of carrying out this modification?? :grrr:

While I was grovelling around inside it last night, I noticed a few other things that make me suspect this isn't original.. Looking at the top of those vertical supports, the plywood has been exposed, almost as if someone has broken an original joint between the upright and the deck. Also the fuel tank, which is in the bow, is sitting on wooden blocks, as if someone has raised it to compensate for the additional height.

I'm just putting the finishing touches to the restoration of an MG Midget at the moment anyway, so probably won't start anything on the boat for the next month or so. I guess that'll give me time to think this through a bit more! Can someone tell me where to find a serial number, so I can see if it does correspond date-wise with Sinbad's boat?

Thanks, Oliver

rnb

Post by rnb »

Hello , The serial No should be attached to a plate on the underside of the engine hatch . Your boat's original gel coat is the same colour as mine from what i can make out - sunset yellow / orange , my boat is 1972 .

Don't be disheartened think the problems on your boat can be rectified , keep us updated on the progress. If you need any crossflow bits and pieces let me know .

rnb

Post by rnb »

sinbadthesailor wrote:It's a mystery, - did any build records survive?

When i bought my boat in the early 90's Ray Wright kindly sent me a copy of the original bill of sale .

I thought? Dick Batters purchased ? the business or effects of Delta from Ray Wright what this included i dont know, although do not quote me on this .

Not sure what then happened to the records after the sale and subsequent passing of Ray Wright . Anybody ?

delta ray
CMBA Member: 931

Post by delta ray »

Timber inserts in the front of the craft were a factory experiment or to be an improvement
Not all had it and all depends we're the fuel tanks were put!..No two boats were the same.
The last run out v8 boats had tanks in the front and had wood inserts too...
:wot:

chriscraft

Post by chriscraft »

Hi. Years ago when I had a delta at fritton lake meeting I was chatting with ray wright, he told me that they had to put wood spacers in the early grp hulls to take the height of the V6 previously thay had used V4 and inline 4s as per the aly deltas, interestingly they also had to put bolt sponsons on for extra bouyancy, later hulls had these moulded in, Ray thought the V6s went better with a passenger to counter the torque roll from the flywheel :wild:
that bloke up north !

delta ray
CMBA Member: 931

Post by delta ray »

[[quote="chriscraft"]Hi. Years ago when I had a delta at fritton lake meeting I was chatting with ray wright, he told me that they had to put wood spacers in the early grp hulls to take the height of the V6

Hi yes your right, wood was used to make the top deck higher before the new mould was made...
The other issue was the new found weight in the introduction of the bigger engines used...

:wot: