Seal for Delta Stern Gland

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

padrag
CMBA Member: 0

Seal for Delta Stern Gland

Post by padrag »

After the woodruff key on my propshaft failed and the propshaft sheared on my delta i have had a replacment made but the rubber seal on the stern gland is now torn and needs replacing, does anyone know where i could purchase this item as it's the last thing that needs replacing. on a side note the new prop shaft and coupling only has one grub screw holding the propshaft on to the flanged coupling the old unit had a much larger grub screw which seated in to a hole drilled in the propshaft but there is no reccess drilled in to the new propshaft which is giving me a slight concern as i am not sure if it is sufficient to stop movement developing under acceleration and deceleration any thoughts?

rnb
CMBA Member: 0

Re: Seal for Delta Stern Gland

Post by rnb »

I am not sure what motor your boat has , you need to determine the od/size of your propshaft and the id of the prop gland where the seal outer sits.
Which will be the id and od of your seals , there are two seals . You also need the width of seal which is usually the depth of the machined steps in the tube.

May be best to remove one of the old seals to determine what you have . remember the seal closest to the prop is usually mounted the "wrong way round".
A bearing factor should have the imperial? size you require.I normally bought a standard seal and replaced them as part of a annual service .

Take a high cobalt content drill bit and create a small recess for the grub screw to seat in the new prop shaft .