New Rubbing Strip for Delta

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Delburt
CMBA Member: 0

New Rubbing Strip for Delta

Post by Delburt »

Hi

I am at long last making some steady progress towards getting my Delta back in the water. Hoping to try rolling and tipping topcoats at the weekend, have new deck hardware ordered and pretty much there mechanically.

One problem I've got is both getting hold of and securing a new rubbing strip for the boat. The one on the boat when I got it was very much a replacement moulding which had been drilled and secured using a nut and bolt though the fibreglass. Not only did this show bolt heads a regular centres but also either down to the profile or material itself the 'bends' at the bow and stern were not smooth with the strip buckling and bulging as it went round, so that had to go!

I've had a look at littleportboathaven.co.uk who had a large selection of both rubber and pvc mouldings but not sure which is best suited or how it would best be fixed particularly at and round the bends at the bow and stern.

Would really appreciate any experiences anyone else has or any ideas to best source and fit.

Thanks

Derek

pspeed

Re: New Rubbing Strip for Delta

Post by pspeed »

Check out wilks rubber, i've used them in the past and they supply most of the UK marine industry http://www.wilks.co.uk/Marine/BoatFende ... oductRange

Delburt

Post by Delburt »

Thanks for the reply, had a look at their website seem to have a big selection.

Did you fit the new strip yourself? If you did how did you form around tight bends and corners, does heating the strip help.

Cheers

Derek

pspeed

Post by pspeed »

Apologies for the delay,

Not been on here for a while,
I have bought various types from them over the years, the ally extrusion with rubber insert type is fairly malleable but you should mark out the mid point on a length and rivet it on the apex of the bow then work back, if you end up close to the turn of the transom you need to cut it back along the side a bit and use a longer length to get around the corner so you have something to lever with.
The rubber insert is not bad to put in but is easier if done on a sunny day or warmed in a bowl of hot water first.

From memory the "c" section type rubber just needs warming up and stretching slighly around corners to avoid the edges lifting.

The "D" section stuff is supposed to have a flat brass strip inserted down its length to give it something for the screw heads to come up against, you can then glue in rubber "dowels" to plug the holes.

Hope this helps
P