Saturn bottom bolt

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

mad millie
CMBA Member: 0

Saturn bottom bolt

Post by mad millie »

Evening every one
Started now to slowly put my broom Saturn back together, but one component was always missing and that was the bottom bolt which allows you to drain the lower buoyancy tank. I understand that it is an imperial thread and probably a 10ml bolt.
I can see looking into the hole that there is a captive nut up there so i have tried various imperial bolts but to no avail!
I could glass it in but I think that water would find its way down there eventually :hmmm:
Any ideas fellow Saturn/Scorpio owners?
All the best
Jon.

Sicobra
CMBA Member: 891

Re: Saturn bottom bolt

Post by Sicobra »

Hi Jon, just removed mine and taken it into the garage to try and see what thread it is but can't pin it down yet, I have run out of odd nuts to try it on!!!! It is a course thread and the bolt is BRASS with a brass washer then a thick rubber washer, I will take it with me to work tomorrow and try and drop into a suppliers to get them to check what thread it is, be in touch soon, cheers, Si

mad millie

Post by mad millie »

Hi si
Thank you very much !
I've also tried various bolts but only one gripped the thread but not happily :cry:
Have a good day!
Jon

BroomBroom
CMBA Member: 711

Post by BroomBroom »

Jon - I take it you mean the drain plug?

I stand to be corrected but I don't think that there was one on the bottom 'flotation tank' originally. The original drain is/was at the lowest point of the floor above that. Due to ingress of water, many owners just put an extra one in the bottom as well. Given this is the case, it will just be an aftermarket drain plug - easily picked up at your local friendly chandlers or on eBay for a few quid - you can get brass, stainless or good old Broom nylon type plastic...

Robin
CMBA Webmaster/Forum Admin.
ex Broom Saturn 'Gina' http://broomspeedboat.blogspot.com/

Sicobra

Post by Sicobra »

Robin, I am not sure if yours is different but I think Jon's is like mine, I have a regular nylon drain plug but also about 6 inches below that another drain which is a bolt with rubber washer that screws into a captive nut that must have been fitted at manufacturing stage, it is not after market. Cheers, Simon

BroomBroom
CMBA Member: 711

Post by BroomBroom »

Hmmm interesting :hmmm:

Mine originally just had a non-matching plastic bung plug in there. Maybe there was a bolt in there originally and the previous owner lost it and just replaced the whole thing. I'll have to trawl through my archive of Broom pics and see if I can find anything.

:idea: If it is original a call to Brooms will probably get you an answer on the thread... 01508 538929

R
CMBA Webmaster/Forum Admin.
ex Broom Saturn 'Gina' http://broomspeedboat.blogspot.com/

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

They're standard, certainly on my Gemini and Saturn. Used to drain the underfloor section if there's water ingress.
Attachments
Picture 558a (Large).jpg
Picture 199.jpg
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Sicobra

Post by Sicobra »

Hi Jon, my friendly engineering company have come to the rescue again, it is a 5/16th British Standard Whitworth 16 teeth per inch, not a commonly used size these days apparently but you should be able to find one, as I said mine is brass, cheers, Simon :perfect:

mad millie

Post by mad millie »

Thank you si you are the daddy :notworthy: :notworthy: and thank you to all who commented on this bolt subject!
I've found a local engineering company but with out the bolt they wouldn't be able to match it :hmmm: so they said.
But let me know costs".............. or I have a cunning plan :hmmm: I will bell you over the weekend!

Sicobra

Post by Sicobra »

My guys only gave me the size, I will have to check if they actually have any, should have asked when I was there DOH!!!!! Do you want me see if they can supply?
Not sure if they will have brass though! If not I will try for stainless, how many do you want, couple????? Simon