Broom Saturn Avocado

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Sea Gypsy
CMBA Member: 0

Broom Saturn Avocado

Post by Sea Gypsy »

Hello folks.
I suspect that this is probably one for Broom Broom and can I apologise in advance for being demonstrably utterly lazy on this/these issue(s), but I figured that it would be better to plug into the wealth of knowledge and expertise available here than start wallowing around on search engines.

SO, here goes. As you may be aware, as it seems to come up readily as a Farcebook [sic] link whenever I Google 'Broom Saturn', I am restoring a Broom Saturn. It transpires that the boat was originally in the apparently fairly rare Avocado colour scheme and so, for the sake of historical and cultural accuracy/continuity, I'm keen to restore her relatively faithfully to that overall 'Brut 33' look, but without creating a 1970s bathroom suite, if you catch my drift?! Accordingly,the hull is going to be white, the interior vinylwork and carpeting 'avocado', the (hopefully now secured!!)loungeseats and off white/cream colour and the deck as close as possible to the original avocado gelcoat colour. And herein lies the first difficulty. Sadly, some enthusiastic former keeper decided that the deck (structurally intact!) would be better suited to a rakish bright red 'Magnum Ferrari' hue and had set about it with what looked like truckloads of No7 nailvarnish and a masonry brush. Removal of this gloop utterly defeated even the most potent 'trade only' paint remover and I ended up having to use specially sourced military grade ( I kid you not and I have a reliable supplier, if anyone faces similar difficulties!!) adhesive remover to budge the stuff. Predictably, the gelcoat itself suffered at the hands of the Iraq-proven solvent, but there was no alternative and anyway the original colour had faded beyond the point of requiring re-finish anyway, so no GREAT disappointment, just a lot of extra judicious work with the epoxy 2 pack and varying grades of fine grit!

Despite the fact that I have spray equipment I've been advised to avoid using it on this project and so I intend to roller apply the new deck coating. Here's the question, at last, then - I just thought you'd appreciate and deserved a bit of background first!!

What type of paint would be best for the deck (not sand loaded non-slip please!!) and does anyone have a colour reference for the Avocado shade? As you may know, Klaus Passler in Austria has done a cracking Avocado restore job on a Saturn, but I'm keen to keep it easy and straightforward with UK based info, if at all possible.

A second question - does anyone know of a source/have and wish to dispose of, the deck cleats for a Saturn of this vintage? I have manged to source the one for the bow thus far.

Thanks in advance of your assistance and support.

David (Sea Gypsy was my Dad's 1948 Evinrude BigTwin 40 powered Tod motor launch!)

ps With a following wind, my Red Band 1970 Thunderbolt 500 will be arriving on Friday; I already have the Mercontrol system.

BroomBroom
CMBA Member: 711

Re: Broom Saturn Avocado

Post by BroomBroom »

Sea Gypsy wrote:I suspect that this is probably one for Broom Broom
why thank you for that (probably unfounded) recognition...

I expect Rapier will pitch in here as he has/had a share in an Avocado Saturn that he rescued and may well be able to point you in the direction of sourcing the 'correct' rear cleats. Gina was restored with only a vague nod to the original as it was primarily the design elements of the boat that I liked. Never reckoned much to the Broom's original 'fixtures and fittings' either aesthetically or quality wise.

As far as the paint is concerned, personally, I would have a word with your local friendly body shop... if they're any good they should be able to match the colour and advise on the best paint/application to use given the nature of the beast. I really persevered with the 'roller and tip' approach to hand painting and while it's 'OK', I think it takes a real professional to get the sort of finish it sounds like you're after. If I did one again, I think I'd favour getting it sprayed correctly with a good two pack paint. While paint is never going to be as tough as the original gelcoat where knocks etc. are concerned you should get good results on boats such as ours. I've heard good things about Epifanes two pack.

Hope this helps and get some pics up here for us please - maybe start a thread in the Restoration section as quite a few here don't use Farcebook...

Cheers,

Robin
CMBA Webmaster/Forum Admin.
ex Broom Saturn 'Gina' http://broomspeedboat.blogspot.com/

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Welcome, I used another stripper on the GRP deck of my Pearly Miss...can't think if it was Dilunet Gel as I've tried a few over the years, but it was spot on and although the deck looked dreadful, post event I was able to finely sand and polish beautifully it till there were only a few spots of typical 60s gel coat problems.

This was Scandal and my boat, euphemistically known as The Green Goddess...or in some quarters of the club..Twyford Special. Some pics below, but the only difference to most are those in front of the screen and the addition of an Attwood bow handle to cover the holes from the corroded bow lamp, the Broom bow handle (and most didn't have them) is most often seen on the wood versions. Most hardware can be found at boat jumbles in good condition as they were chrome on brass..Beaulieu Jumble this weekend and a great CMBA presence, so if you feel like a day out...Enjoy the restoration though!
Attachments
100_0345 (Large).JPG
Picture 037 (Large).jpg
Picture 555 (Large).jpg
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Sea Gypsy
CMBA Member: 0

Post by Sea Gypsy »

Thank you so far for your generous support, advice and best wishes my new-found friends and fellow 'it floats, jump on/in it and have fun' obsessives. I'm rushing now, but promise to post more extensively soon on my plans for and trials and tribulations thus far, in the restoration of the craft that will be known post launch as Miffy (after our much loved poosycat, who died 01 01 2012 - great new year, huh?!). If you're REALLY unlucky, I'll also post piccies of each stage to totallydemolish yer collective will to live 8-)

D