Trailer question

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Trailer question

Post by Rapier »

I've got this great trailer, which was made for another boat - the only issue is the bunks are now directly under my boat's outer bilge keels. I need to move them outwards, but am reluctant to compromise the galvanising and buy an additional 4 jockey wheel style brackets and drill another 8 holes through the front and back supports, to which the existing brackets are welded (and galvanised). The bunks do not support much weight, as a bare Pearly Miss weighs about 160lbs and a Merc 500 about 170lbs. Most of the weight is spread through the central keel.

My idea is to use 8 u bolts to clamp them on, but wondered if anyone has other bright ideas.
Attachments
DSCN2276.JPG
DSCN2275.JPG
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

puddleduck
CMBA Member: 80

Re: Trailer question

Post by puddleduck »

Peel back the carpet and you'll see the thro' bolts holding the bunks on. I reckon it'll be pretty simple to make four angle iron brackets to pick up on these bolt holes and move the bunks outboard. Don't worry about damaging the galvanising, I've got cans of Zinga at home for rebuilding galvanized parts.

give me a ring!

Jaguar

Post by Jaguar »

you may want to try 'towsure' they sell trailer chassis parts - Im not sure but I think they sell clamps for use with tubular bunk supports

floater
CMBA Member: 90

Post by floater »

I fitted bunks to my trailer that was previously kitted out with rollers on posts fitted in clamp brackets in a similar fashion to your bunks.

I bought 40mm square galvanised posts (my bunks had none) some pre drilled plates and U bolts 40 wide 80 long from De Graff very cheaply.

I then clamped the posts with the bunks on top to the 40mm frame of the trailer using the U bolts and plates and was impressed with how secure it is. All seems well so far.

I plan to re use the old clamps and posts from the rollers to attach my trailer board.

Tow sure may well have the parts and are local to you, I have also used http://www.leisure-mart.co.uk/shop/Vcat ... t=11001118 and found them reliable.

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

A check on the Tow Sure site showed a clamp on fitting kit that can be used to bolt a jockey wheel onto either a 50mm or 60mm tube without drilling the tube, so bought 4 and another 4x34mm jockey wheel brackets. Gave some dirty, diseased fivers the :pirate: government of dithering toffs and baying harpies hasn't stolen from me yet and now have a Heath-Robinson system that fits the boat. Only gripe is the threads are a bit short; time is of the essence to make Friday, so new U bolts, or a thread cutter will have to wait. Actually down here in flood country we don't need trailers any more and the boat has officially become the household water butt. :giggle:
Attachments
Picture (Large).jpg

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

Have fun on Friday - wish I could be there :cry:
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

floater
CMBA Member: 90

Post by floater »

Thats a blow Alacrity :shock: I was counting on you for Mercury tech support. :?

Rapier that is what i was trying to explain I did, steel plate 4 holes, 2 U bolts, square tube instead of round. I guess I failed to paint a picture with worms.

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

You sowed the seed..just didn't need to go down the square tubes and a trip to Arthur route, and / or drill through another 8 holes when I had round already..had to buy a few M12 nuts as spacers, but will get there eventually. Today spent doing a few jobs connecting up pitot tubes and modern pickup, fixing a leak I think I had and added the last 8 pints of bouyancy under the splash well. Tomorrow looks like being another downpour and Thursday off to Duxford Aerodrome on a family pilgrimage.