Roller and tip, which way?????

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Sicobra
CMBA Member: 891

Roller and tip, which way?????

Post by Sicobra »

I little advice please guys, I am about to paint my hull above the water line and will be using the roller and tip method, I have done loads of research and confusingly there is a loads of contradictions as to which direction to tip off! So do I roller vertically and tip off vertically or roller vertically and tip off horizontally???? I am using a very dark blue so want to get the smoothest finish possible which I know would be spraying but I don't have the room to do that so roller and tip it has to be! Any advice would be appreciated, cheers, Simon

sean-nós
CMBA Member: 793

Re: Roller and tip, which way?????

Post by sean-nós »

This is how I do it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-SGcSlN ... 0E530EFB3F I will be doing the final coats on my crackerbox tomorrow and then will sand with 800 grit wet paper working up to 1500 then I use rubbing compound "G3" to bring up a mirror finish just as good as if not better than spray painting :D

Sicobra

Post by Sicobra »

Thanks for that but this is one of the videos I have seen which contradicts the International Paint website video, this says you should draw the paint brush down the sides of the hull but this youtube video shows the brush being drawn along!! I can understand that if you draw it down then you are less likely to induce lines as the brush strokes done horizontally will naturally want to sag under gravity, drawing the brush down would solve this issue but any verticle brush marks would look pants!!!!!! :grrr:

sean-nós
CMBA Member: 793

Post by sean-nós »

I have found that I tend to roll against the grain and tip with the grain I'm not sure if it makes much of a difference as it comes out quite level in the end and is going to be sanded anyway.If this is your first coat do one half one way and the other half the other as you will be sanding with about 200 grit between each coat it will be fine and then just pick what you think works best.

Sicobra

Post by Sicobra »

Cool, I will try both, thanks for the advice and best of luck with yours, cheers, Simon :perfect: