Wether to paint my bottom

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

mad millie
CMBA Member: 0

Wether to paint my bottom

Post by mad millie »

My broom Saturn restoration is coming along well now,I've managed to not to paint any of the top and sides and have regelled every bit of damage on the shell, BUT the bottom of the hull had a long scrape and hole which I've re glassed and gelled.
My problem is the rest of the hull below the water line is very stained and scratched and It will not mop up and look ok,so should I paint it? Will it affect it's value or a new buyer!
I did think about antifouling as it will be in the river for the summer or am I worrying about nothing and would anybody be bothered
All the best
Jon

Hope every one is having a good Christmas ......

Healey75

Re: Wether to paint my bottom

Post by Healey75 »

Comes down to personal choice but I would paint it below the boot top, and use suitable antifoul in a the nearest colour to the hull applied by hand to best possible standard. That would not look wrong and be in keeping with what a boat might have below the waterline and might do some good if the boat's is kept afloat for long periods. Would not put me off buying it or to my mind devalue the boat in any way. If you scrape/damage the finish it's an easy fix as well...hope that helps
Growing up is optional...

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

I'm with Healey75 on this, don't worry about it, paint it.
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

mad millie

Post by mad millie »

Healey75 wrote:Comes down to personal choice but I would paint it below the boot top, and use suitable antifoul in a the nearest colour to the hull applied by hand to best possible standard. That would not look wrong and be in keeping with what a boat might have below the waterline and might do some good if the boat's is kept afloat for long periods. Would not put me off buying it or to my mind devalue the boat in any way. If you scrape/damage the finish it's an easy fix as well...hope that helps
Thanks for your reply
I know that you are right and that's what I had in mind and she is 35 years old so she can have a scruffy bottom!I just wanted to be a perfectionist as top and sides are looking good now! After much gel coating!!! :heat:
What type of marine paint would be your choice?
All the best
Jon....

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

International do good quality paints that would suit this fine. I believe they also have a helpline you can ring if needed.
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

Healey75

Post by Healey75 »

Agree with Alacrity...I've used International Paints and have had good results...follow their system/instructions, may include a primer coat(s). Help line very good, you get to speak straight to a human in the UK..I've found them really helpful and they have excellent data sheets/instructions available.
Growing up is optional...

ChrisChase

Post by ChrisChase »

I had the same problem with mine, i antifouled the bottom. Have a look at my thread below;

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3300

neilgreenfield

Post by neilgreenfield »

DO NOT PAINT

petrolhead
CMBA Member: 644

Post by petrolhead »

if it is going to live in the water for 4 to 6 months "in season" I really would not paint its botty. Personally I would give it a nice boot top line in paint with a suitable antifoul for speed/use of a colour to suit....maybe even a contrast. A surprising amount of weed grows on our cruiser in just a few weeks during the summer and without the antifoul it would stick.

Ideally the antifould should have at least a suitable primer and I think even an epoxy 2 part 1st layer would be worth considering as a good base before the primer so as to apply a full water proof coat over the repairs.

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Don't paint it if you can live with the scabbiness and it'll not be in an environment that requires antifoul. Gel coat is always best.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...