Albatross rudders

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Good buy

Albatross rudders

Post by Good buy »

Has any one ever seen one of these , apart from in the line drawing in the sixth edition manual ? Solid bronze
Attachments
photo (1).JPG

Good buy

Re: Albatross rudders

Post by Good buy »

Inc stainless shaft
Attachments
photo (1).JPG

Good buy

Post by Good buy »

last one
Attachments
photo (1).JPG

Robert.Larman
CMBA Member: 0

Post by Robert.Larman »

Hi A series, that looks like it would put a lot of strain on the steering quadrant bearing!
I recently made a new rudder and at the same time turned up a new fitting that the rudder shaft goes into which goes into the bearing. I made it out of stainless due to how much damage was done to the original ali one (especially the thread that holds the whole lot 'up').
Even that added alot of weight!

Regards
Rob
Attachments
new rudder
new rudder
Aircraft Technician - I work with Ali and rivets!

Good buy

Post by Good buy »

Hi thanks for your input i am a little confused as to your statement ( that looks like it would put a lot of strain on the steering quadrant bearing) why would it be any different to an alli one ?
P.s i did not make this i am looking for info on it.

Sham

Post by Sham »

Hi Robert,

Congratulations, your rudder looks great.
I'm in the same situation as you, my ali rudder and the top aluminium fitting are damaged and need replacement.
Would you have the dimensions you used to turn the top fitting? (I took dimensions on mine, but it was heavily corroded so I had to cut it...)
How did you make the rudder blade? Would you have additional pictures of it?

Many thanks for your help! ;)

-Jim-
My Albatross on ShamWerks.com

Robert.Larman

Post by Robert.Larman »

Sorry A series, I meant that the entire assembly which is shown in my picture, 'hangs' from the bearing, eg that nut at the top holds the steering quadrant, shaft and rudder etc up to the bearing in the hull. I guess my point was that with the bronze rudder, it would have alot more weight hanging off of that bearing and thread. Our thread on the original ali fitting was badly damaged and would think extra weight would only add to the problem?

Sham - sorry, didn't take any dimensions as most of the surfaces were ok apart from the thread. I'm pretty sure the bearing was a 6302 or 6303 so if you were able to find which one it is, you'd be able to turn to the bearing dimensions. When i fitted it, I also added washers under the nut so as to pack the nut up, therefore not requiring a ground down socket to fit/remove.

The rudder: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3578

Sorry for the thread hijack.

Regards

Rob
Aircraft Technician - I work with Ali and rivets!

Good buy

Post by Good buy »

Yes thanks i can see that but you have a cavitation plate on the rudder so as soon as the boat is moving through the water it should in fact create lift , which removes any weight issues . The only time there will be more stress is when out of the water . Also this is from an A series and the rudder sits in a collar there is no tread. If you look at the line drawing of the boat in Sham's manual you will clearly recognise the rudder from my photos . It is diffident in the previous edition manual that would be for a mk3 . So to summarize it came from a one owner boat looks the same as the line drawing in the manual but i have never seen another one has any one else ?
http://shamwerks.com/albatross_eng.php

Sham i made my rudder by bending from the leading edge and then welding the seam up and welding the cavitation plate on. I pined the shaft and and welded the pins in place and buffed them out . And the shaft is stainless but the rudder is Ali. Just remember the cavitation plate should seal the top of the rudder .

https://picasaweb.google.com/fildesjohn ... 7102815826

Sham

Post by Sham »

I agree with A Series, I don't think weight really is an issue, due to the lift created by the cavitation plate.
Plus, the rudder blade is pretty small, so even made of solid bronze, it shouldn't be that heavy... Nothing a serious bearing can handle.

I love the rudder you made, I had already seen your Picasa gallery and was certain it was stainless, not aluminium. Beautiful work... I guess TIG welding, then careful grinding/filing of the welds before polishing, correct? I wish I had your skills!! :perfect:
How thick was the aluminium you bent?
My Albatross on ShamWerks.com

Good buy

Post by Good buy »

Hi Sham thanks for your kind words i wish i had you web site skills and yes tig . We made it out of 3mm because that is what we had from all the other work i did .