To Soak or not to Soak

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

se7en
CMBA Member: 434

Re: To Soak or not to Soak

Post by se7en »

Better to find the problem now, than when your 1000miles away at Aix and the boat sinks..!! :oops:
Last edited by se7en on Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

Very sorry to hear about both your & the boat's woes Al, still at least you have found the cause of your worst leak, lets hope the yard can sort you out fairly quickly. How is the knee & ankle? :( :(
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

petrolhead
CMBA Member: 644

Post by petrolhead »

Geoff, I had thought this through far enough to realise I would run the bilge intake through a strum box and a strainer! mainly cos I know what my bilges are like :lol:

Al, glad it is simply your sternglands,(ooher missus) I was faffing with our stuffing boxes the other day but ruled out the expense of modern water type seals.

For your overtightened/seized bolts have you got an impact wrench and compressor? rattles most things off I struggle with here.

Alacrity
Site Admin

Post by Alacrity »

Russ, when dealing with bilge water you cannot use a strainer as fine as you would on your raw water seacock as it would rapidly block just when you need it most. You need a coarser filter & can then end up with debris blocking heat exchanger core tubes, seen it so many times.
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

Scandal
CMBA Member: 538

Post by Scandal »

I think I might be able to get things sorted out. My local boat workshop, South Coast Marine were doing some engine work on the boat today prior to the planned launch & tune up of the old Chrysler V8 tomorrow. They are usually very helpfull and today dismantled the prop coupling, ordered a new seal for delivery tomorrow, which they reckon will be fitted in the hour .. so fingers crossed the trial run should go ahead. :wot:

Fingers crossed and all that :D

Al

petrolhead
CMBA Member: 644

Post by petrolhead »

Russ, when dealing with bilge water you cannot use a strainer as fine as you would on your raw water seacock as it would rapidly block just when you need it most. You need a coarser filter & can then end up with debris blocking heat exchanger core tubes, seen it so many times.

Geoff...how right you are, I did not think of that one! come to think of it I know how often I need to clear the bilge pump filter! yuk back to the drawing board.

Scandal
CMBA Member: 538

Post by Scandal »

The boat went into the water yesteday afternoon and there were only small leaks which the pumps could easily deal with. The engine fired first time :thanks: and ran like sewing machine, albeit a very very noisy sewing machine. Thanks to Nick Dunn and Andy Wise and families who came to the launching and the first trip on water for over 8 years. Nick is going to try and upload a you-tube film, mind your ears. :wot: :D :D

Al

Alacrity
Site Admin

Post by Alacrity »

Good news, well done Al. wish I could have been there. :mrgreen: :(

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Calneva - Vids and Pics

Post by Rapier »

Al, Wonderful boat and sublime engine...thoroughly enjoyed my trip out yesterday!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NA00LvyXRM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp7tD9bX0uE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9K4u4ySDNM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IelxbDZt_lw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbYT5ZNCyiY

Have a still, but am unable to upload on the site yet.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

puddleduck
CMBA Member: 80

Post by puddleduck »

Lovely Boat Al, glad it's all worked for you first time out!

(this message sent by envious member of the proletariat :mrgreen: watching the leisured classes enjoing themselves. Bring on the revolution then we can all have V8 powered boats!)