Delta Nymph - help

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Phil_Taylor
CMBA Member: 720

Delta Nymph - help

Post by Phil_Taylor »

:grrr: Come on you lot - someone must know the original, or recommended outboard spec. for a Delta Nymph ! I've started off modestly with my small Tohatsu only because I have easiest, frequent access to inland water. Now that I've got a chest wig and medallion, I want to get a bigger power plant but don't want to wreck my boat or me in the process. Any help would be appreciated.
Equally, doesn't someone know the pitot and line configuration for an Airguide speedometer. Is it a straight forward pipe connection or does it need the copper, balloon section to moderate the air pressure ?
HELP!!
:grrr:

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Re: Delta Nymph - help

Post by Alacrity »

I would have thought 40-50hp would be more than enough for a Nymph. I'd imagine she would go very well with a 40hp Merc twin, may be a bit lively with a 50hp (great fun though :lol: :lol: ) but I am only guessing, others may know for sure. Remember Merc horses were 'bigger' than Johnnyrude ones back in the day if you are considering period motors - Merc tended to underrate their motors whilst OMC did the opposite. :shock: Not so with modern ones I believe.

I would just pipe the speedo head direct to the pitot with rubber tubing, I have a NOS (new old stock) Airguide speedo kit here & that's all that is in the box - speedo, pitot & a coil of tubing. If you get a later motor (80's on?) then a lot of them (certainly Merc's) have the speedo pick-up as part of the motor so you don't need a pitot tube - & then you don't loose the speedo if you corner hard & the pitot lifts clear of the water. :roll:
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

The Nymph is so light that 28hp, 33hp, 40hp BigTwin / Seahorse Evinrude / Johnsons work fine. 35hp, 40hp and 402 (40hp) Mercs will give greater pep. Merc 500, 50hp will be perfect I surmise, but probably over manufacturer's spec. Go and hunt on ebay in the US for Airguide and Aqua Meter speedos, you'll find plenty of NOS with fittings and fitting intructions. Your Nymph will run out of speed at 35 mph, maybe 40mph with a 60hp, so don't get anything that is tiny graduations till 40 and the runs to max 50-80mph.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Phil_Taylor
CMBA Member: 720

Post by Phil_Taylor »

Thank you for the information -its a huge help!!
The motor situation is much clearer. I had in mind a period 50 hp Mercury and actually bought one BUT it looked the size of a dustbin on the back and wanted to tip the trailer all the time. Not quite confidence inspiring prior to a try out on water. I elected to sell that to a mate with a much bigger boat (18') and that flies but it appears to be overall, much better balanced. However, I am now informed enough to make some 'sensible' choices and act on them.

In respect of the speedo/pitot, I have a lovely old Airguide speedo and the piping that came with it. I have also acquired further two pitots that I was told were the 'correct items' for my particular speedo but they are so different. One is a simple pitot that fits directly onto the end of the piping and the other consists of the pitot joined to an elongated metal section that subsequently fits onto the piping. I don't want to fit one then water test only to have to remove it and replace as my boat has had enough holes drilled and cut into her by a previous owner but I suppose I will have to bite the bullet and give it a go at some point. If I don't manage to get it sorted I shall have to plead for help at Cardiff.

Many thanks guys - it looks like I owe you a drink.

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

Re. outboard. It sounds like you need to move the axle aft on your trailer to give it a little nose weight when you have a larger motor on her. The Merc 500 50hp is one of the best Merc's EVER made, that is why they were around in various forms from the 1950's through to the 80's, you would do well to reconsider on this if you can move your axle aft. I would think you will have the same problems with any of the 35 - 50hp motors mentioned, I believe period Johnnyrudes weigh heavier per hp than period Merc's, but others will step in if I am wrong here.

Re. pitot, the Airguide units I have here just have the simple plastic unit in the box - no metal tubing (see photo for an example of the general style)
Attachments
Pitot1.jpg
Pitot1.jpg (6.06 KiB) Viewed 7682 times
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Phil, this would be perfect for you....

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=341
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...