Engine advice needed - 1964 Aqua Craft 14ft ski boat

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Woodman
CMBA Member: 0

Engine advice needed - 1964 Aqua Craft 14ft ski boat

Post by Woodman »

Hello all,

I have a plywood Aqua Craft ski boat which is under restoration and intended for use on Cardiff Bay, so sheltered water, when complete.

I need to aquire an outboard of suitable size (and hopefully vintage) to use as a fun boat with my young son. I don't intend to go water skiing so have no desire to fit the biggest possible. Can anyone recommend a suitable size range as I'm getting conflicting views.

Also I have had a great deal of trouble finding any information about Aqua Craft. Does anyone know anything about this company? All information would be gratefully received.

Sadly I can't make the Cardiff weekend as I'll be working across the other side of the Bay but, I wish all thoes attending a good weekend.

Thanks

Healey75

Re: Engine advice needed - 1964 Aqua Craft 14ft ski boat

Post by Healey75 »

Hiya... I'm not familiar with your boat, but I would suggest a minimum of around 35hp if yo want to get on the plane, assuming it's average shape and weight. I had a 15ft wood ski boat that would just pull a skier with 33hp but would not plane 4 up...hope that helps. If you just want to potter around smaller is fine but I'd still look for 35hp cause you will want to get it on the plane! ;)

Sorry we won't see you at Cardiff... if you can Mermaid Quay is where the boats will be on Sun and based at CYC on Fri Sat

One of our members has an Aquacraft inboard (I think)...he may well pop up on the forum
Growing up is optional...

Woodman

Post by Woodman »

Thank you for that Healey, I'll look out for the inboard Aqua Craft on here and see if I can make contact.

Yes shame about the weekend as I would have loved to meet some of the other members and exchange experiences etc. I live in the area so I'll try again next year.

Healey75

Post by Healey75 »

If you can post a picture, let me know if you don't hear from the Aquacraft member.

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

The other Aqua Craft guy doesnt frequent the forum as far as I am aware. I believe (& I am never sure on this) the inboard was an 'Attacker' & was Triumph engined & had wooden fins, with the outboard engined boat being the 'Avenger'. I may have the names around the wrong way but they are the right names. There was some connection with Aqua Craft & Healey boats, I think they made the Healey wooden hulls.
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

Woodman

Post by Woodman »

Thanks for that. Ive attached some images but the quality is not that good I'm afraid. Restoration work is well underway but it wont be finished till next year when I hope to make the Cardiff Bay rally.
Enjoy the weekend
Attachments
Aqua Craft 3.jpg
Aqua Craft 2.jpg
Aqua Craft 1.jpg

Healey75

Post by Healey75 »

You have a nice boat there, I think there is a Healey connection but I'm not sure if it's the architect or the manufacturer or both..! Looks to me to have a little bit of the Healey Skimaster about it...can't recall the designers name at the moment. :grrr: .....Geoffry Lord ??????????/

Does it have 2 planks running along the chine from the transom to the bow?

welshhealey
CMBA Member: 71

Post by welshhealey »

Hi Woodman,

I read your post with interest and the Aquacraft (inboard version) was copied by Donald Healey when Stirling Moss and himself went to U.S.A. on hols. waterskiing, they liked the look of this boat brought one back and copied the design with a few mods. eg. they removed the wooden fins etc... and trimmed this and that and installed an M.G.A 1500cc marinised unit and called it the Healey 55 Sportsboat this info I had from my archive book of Donald Healey's biography "My World of Cars"

I hope this info is helpful to you

Cheers
Welsh Healey

Woodman

Post by Woodman »

Many thanks for the information Welsh Healey, that is very interesting. I'll do some more digging around to try and clarify.

Healey 75, it has 4 planks per side in total. The centre two being about 3" width. I'll try and get another photo on showing them when I get a chance.

François

Post by François »

Hello,

I am new on your forum and I am also looking for any information regarding the (inboard) Aquacraft Avanger. The information over the internet are quite rare but my boat looks exactly (without the fins) as that one called "Jamollie" on that web page:

http://www.britishcarweek.org/healeyboats.html

I unfortunately bought her without her TR3 engine and without her windscreen. (But I bought a French engine from 1962 build for races on the river Seine (inboard, 85hp with a rare electric gear box) and 3 vintage wind-shield brackets from England).

I have started the renovation on may own, in a shipyard dedicated to private person who build their boat as a leisure (5 km west of Paris, close to my home place).

Any information related to the Aquacraft Avenger are welcome (since I didn't find any serial number or plate on her for instance). Vice-versa, should I be able to provide you with any additional information, I would very to help.

François
France
(Sorry for some possible mistakes but my English needs improving!)