Basics!

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Carvalin

Basics!

Post by Carvalin »

Hi,

I've just rescued my Grandfather's Broom (Javelin or similar!) from my uncle's barn after 30 yrs of inactivity!.

Can anyone help me with

a) Identifying what Broom it is? (I can send phots)
b) Locating various bits and bobs such as cleats, spot lights etc?
c) Finding a period engine?

Any help, guidanceor encouragement gratefully recieved.

Andy

BroomBroom
CMBA Member: 711

Re: Basics!

Post by BroomBroom »

Hi Andy,

Welcome aboard!
Please post some photos up here - you'll soon get some replies. In the meantime you can peruse a copy of an early Broom brochure here:

http://www.cmba-uk.com/gallery/brochures.htm

As far as locating bits n bobs and finding a period engine - that shouldn't present many problems - CMBA members are a resourceful lot!

Don't know if you're a CMBA member or not - if not, please consider joining us http://www.cmba-uk.com/join/index.htm - just in time for the beginning of the season :thanks:

Look forward to seeing those pix,

Cheers,

Robin
CMBA Webmaster/Forum Admin.
ex Broom Saturn 'Gina' http://broomspeedboat.blogspot.com/

Carvalin

Post by Carvalin »

Hi,

I have the completed forms on my desk awaiting postage on the way home!

Here are some pics:

Again, any direction on finding "bits" most welcome ( I have the screen and steering etc, but need some of the smaller pieces such as cleats)

Many thanks for the welcome!

Andy
Attachments
Broom 4.JPG
Broom 3.JPG
Broom 1.JPG
Broom 2.JPG

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Hi Andy, looks in lovely original condition. Good that you have the screen. I can supply 2 Broom fairleads, but don't think I have any cleats, nor a bow handle. The Broom types come up at jumbles often, so don't go with a generic type, with a different pattern of holes until you've hunted around - follow up BroomBroom's lead with John Broom first. Looks like it needs the epifanes treatment too. Period engines come up in the club and on ebay from time to time. Common engines for these are the twin cylinder Mercury 35-40hp and Johnson / Evinrude (28, 33 and 40hp)/ Gale (25 and 40hp). Alactrity powered his with a 50hp for an afternoon, but was a bit of an handful....

Enjoy!

p.s. see if you can find some forward facing bunks for the trailer, rather than rollers; my opinion is the rollers create hardspots on the wooden hull rather than support it properly.
Attachments
Pictureresize.jpg
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

Welcome. You have a Broom Javelin Deluxe there (the deluxe had reclining seats & covered inner panels down both sides). The deck fittings were standard 60's good quality chrome on brass that can readily be found at boat jumbles - often as not new. If you don't have originals as patterns let me know & I will post up some pictures. I think you will find all the chrome is chrome on brass which means re-plating is a good option. I had some redone on mine.

Regarding the engine - rather depends how you want to use her. 18 or 20hp will make a nice pleasant cruising boat that will plane in the low 20's. A 40 (or at a push 50 :shock: ) will make her more lively with low to mid thirty's achievable. When I had my Javelin I had a Merc 40 on her but she did start to fall apart at the seams with first the transom failing then the bottom. The 40 year old glue just couldn't cope in my case. It's all easily repairable with modern epoxy's though. I see your boat has OMC engine controls on her, if you want to stick with Johnson/Evinrude motors (they are reliable & easy to fix with basic tools & a little knowledge) then Rapier on this forum may have something that is good that he may be persuaded to part with.

What area do you live in? There are a couple I believe in the CMBA, my old one resides near Brighton at the moment. Good luck with her, we look forward to seeing her at a rally in the near future.
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

Carvalin

Post by Carvalin »

Hi,

Wow, some great responses already!

I thought it was Javelin Deluxe but wasn't sure as I'd seen others which also looked very similar - good to have it confirmed so I can at least pretend pretend I know what I'm talking about!

Alacrity - thanks for the offer of loading up some "patterns", that would be great as I don't have any of the originals. I'm certainly keen to everything as orginial as possible - my grandfather bought this boat from new so I will keep the current controls (what does OMC stand for?), my dad tells me he had a 25hp Johnson (?) so at some point I'll try and replace it. We live in the Windsor area, so will try and come along to any nearby events. I've managed to remove all of the seats from the rear but not the back supports from the front - do you have any hints, there is quite a bit of corrosion but I'd lie to know wich way to push/pull!

Rapier - many thanks for the offer of fairleads - can you let me know how much they are, I can then send you payment and my address? Where's the best place to look for Jumbles - I'm keen to get her on the water ASAP so as not to miss the season!! What is "epifanes treatment"?? I'm a bit of new-boy here!! Thanks for the tip on the bunks, I'll look in to that too.

Thanks for help thus far!

Andy

Alacrity
Site Admin

Post by Alacrity »

OK Andy I will take some pictures of the deck hardware for you & post them up - Rapier has already posted up the two fairleads you will need & his comments regarding holes in the deck are very valid.

Regarding your front seats, the seat backs are held upright by a sliding bolt that locates in one of the frames & a pivoting bar that runs under the seats then up the back to provide support. You put your hand inside the hollow seat back towards the outside of the seat, grasp the bar (about 1 1/4" dia, you can see them in the picture of the seats taken from the rear) & pull it down to the horizontal position, having first released the sliding bolt. The seat will now hinge back to form a sunbed & you can get to the hinges to remove them. Of course, as you say, it will be corroded up but mine freed off OK & I had salt water corrosion on it so you should be OK too.

OMC stands for 'Outboard Marine Corporation' who made the Johnson & Evinrude range of engines (possibly others in the early days?? Someone?) which were the same engines, but different styling & colours. I am not a Johnson man but I think (someone feel free to correct me here) the 25 was of a later period than your boat, not that it matters as such. It would seem a good choice given that I suspect most of your boating with it will be Thames based (we have a rally at Walton every year) but it will allow you to get up to a sensible planning speed should you be somewhere without speed limits.

Epifanes is the best vacht varnish you can get most of us agree, time spent preparing & using this product is well rewarded!

Re. boat jumbles look here http://www.boatjumbleassociation.co.uk/ the best one, Beaulieu, is coming up on 26th of this month. There is usually a CMBA crowd there. :D :D Geoff
Attachments
Javelin Deuxe seats flat
Javelin Deuxe seats flat
Javelin Deuxe seats upright
Javelin Deuxe seats upright
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

Alacrity
Site Admin

Post by Alacrity »

OK, deck hardware you need. Bow handle, 9 3/4" overall length, bow cleat 5" measured along the top, stern cleats (x 2) 3" along the top. The step pads she may have had will probably be 'monkey metal' & for practical purposes are scrap when they pit up badly, take a pattern to Beaulieu if you have one, they do come up all the time. The hardware pictured is in a pretty poor state & needs re-chroming, but it is the correct style for the Javelin.
Attachments
Stern cleat
Stern cleat
Bow handle
Bow handle
Bow cleat
Bow cleat

Carvalin

Post by Carvalin »

Hi,

Just had an absolute result in that my Uncle has located the full set of cleats, handles and footplates that he removed from the boat sometime ago!! Just now need to sort an engine!!!!

AJ

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Glad you found them, will save you ages and if they're not pitted, a small fortune!
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...