Nitromors

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Nitromors

Post by Rapier »

For anyone who's used the old...the green stuff (750ml at £15.28 from B&Q)appears to take twice as long and the application method has changed. Not overly impressed, as I've taken an hour to strip varnish off a pre-sanded dashboard 3ft by 6 ins. Seems to have more flammable stuff in it so reckon that there's more methanol and less dichloromethane. Stick with the clear while it lasts.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Mirak
CMBA Member: 672

Re: Nitromors

Post by Mirak »

Don't use it in direct sunlight - it'll just go hard and do nothing. Of course, don't use it indoors, you'll be as high as a kite in no time and drunk in charge of a paint scraper. ( Are you allowed sharp objects?? :-) )

It sometimes works better by applying the nitromors and then adding a layer of newspaper - stops it brewing off to quickly when it's warm.

S
********************************************************************************
* Swinging the World by the tail since 1960 *
********************************************************************************

solitaire
CMBA Member: 511

Post by solitaire »

I found the new Nitromors to be a lot less effective and it took longer to strip!! - I think the fun police have been at it again - they have even made a new Evostick - solvent free!! doesn't smell as nice!! but doesn't Bl**dy stick either!! - getting back to Paint Stripper - I have been using Wicks own brand - seems pretty good and does the job, it took multiple layers of the Avenger deck with no trouble! - anyone else used it/got expierience?

suicide jockey
CMBA Member: 755

Post by suicide jockey »

I am also old school nitromoors but have found Wickes version to still be pretty good and cheaper. (Bought in 2010)
Plenty more boats in the sea!!!!!!

solitaire
CMBA Member: 511

Post by solitaire »

Bad news ! (Time a for a RANT!!!) - just returned from Wicks - the fun police have been at their paint stripper and removed the dichloromethane to make it nice and safe (probably does't strip paint though) - so the search is on for some good stuff again - I've been told "Frosts" (auto restoration people) do a good one that makes your eyes water.

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

sinbad1405 wrote:I've been told "Frosts" (auto restoration people) do a good one that makes your eyes water.
Frosts are very good, but, in my experience, pricey.
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

Having dropped my heat gun, which when switched on promptly coughed and died in a puff of electrical smoke, I need to visit this again as I found the lily-livered nitromors tin in the cupboard and I tried it again: what rubbish. It takes 40min...to do what I ask?

Did anyone find a product that really works like it should?

What about home made....thinners and silica mixed to a paste, to prevent evaporation?

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

Bought some bunny boiler stuff on ebay, will post later.

Healey75

Post by Healey75 »

I was told that proper paint stripper was methylene chloride stirred into water thickened with corn flour (water and cornflower mix bought to the boil stirring all the time to avoid lumps) presumably let it cool before stirring into the methylene chloride to get the right gooey mix. I was told this but never tried it so it might be a complete load of bo##ocks and cause major grief... I did get as far as establishing you can buy methylene chloride on the web though.

Any chemists out there ???? Need to check out the H&S aspects as well !!!!

I agree modern paint stripper is 'PANTS' I do wonder if you could get the manufactures under trade descriptions as it doesn't really do what it says on the tin !!
Growing up is optional...

puddleduck
CMBA Member: 80

Post by puddleduck »

I took a tin of Nitromors back to Hombase and got my £15 quid back, siting 'not fit for purpose'. It's bloody rubbish, wouldn't get the skin off a rice pudding.

I find it completely ridiculous that manufacturers take out the ingredients that make the stuff work then try and flog it to us as a 'new improved formula'.

Remember Creosote? Proper wood preserver.

Remember Cooper's Fly Spray? Nowadays it gives a fly a mild headache, abraod they have Cooper's PIF PAF - absolutely brilliant, has a killing zone of a half mile radius. can't get it in the UK.

Twister, what was the good paint stripper stuff you found online, was it American? Need to let the members know!!