Broom Gemini Windscreen

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

bluejames
CMBA Member: 0

Broom Gemini Windscreen

Post by bluejames »

Hi there all memebers well I have been looking for a project boat for quiete a while now to go fishing on.

So last weekend I found myself stuck on ebay after a few months of watching various boat now I was bidding on a red boat once I piced it up and found the make on the side Broom I researched and believe it to be a broom gemini 13ft.

The boat looked a mess but have jet washed and taken the bits and pieces the previous owner had screwed on off and am almos at a stage where I can sand down and re paint.

I have a couple of questions and need a little help as this is my first project.

Firstly the boat has come without a windscreen so I need to get one preferably second hand but I doubt I will be able to do that so perhaps making one myself could be an option although I do not have any template to work from. Any ideas members perhaps someone has an old one I could take a template from??

Also Paint what is the best way of painting the boat. Epoxy spray paint was my idea so far as its sets solid with a high gloss fininsh?

Well thank you in advance and I look forward to any help any members can send my way.

Here is a pic of it at the moment.
BP.jpg
James

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Re: Broom Gemini Windscreen

Post by Rapier »

Hi and welcome, your Gemini has been attacked by some chainsaw / jigsaw / sawsall fiends and most of the foredeck and side decks where the original screen would have sat are long gone: as is the floor which holds most of it together, i.e the whole structure as the boat was designed, is now compromised. Unless you plan to use it on a fishing lake with a 5hp on the back I'd count your losses and walk away. If that's the plan, don't waste money on expensive paint and use a foam roller and household gloss instead.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

BroomBroom
CMBA Member: 711

Post by BroomBroom »

Please don't take this the wrong way but... I think you may have quite a bit more work than you think to get that to where it should be.

There could well be a Gemini lurking in there but the big problem is that much of the floor and the foredeck (where the screen would sit) has been cut away :?

This worries me a little as you will have lost some of the structural integrity - and IMHO, to try and re-construct it is almost certainly going to make it beyond economic repair. That said, maybe all is not lost as, if you want it for fishing, you may be able to construct some sort of 'cuddy cabin' over the front (it appears that someone had done that in the past looking at your pic). This would help with the structure and also solve your windscreen problem. A Gemini screen (even if you could find one) is just not going to fit what you have there.

I guess you could construct something suitable using some decent hardwood and marine ply and then glaze it with acrylic but the best you can hope for is something practical rather than elegant - sorry :(

With all that said though, I still don't think it would make a very stable fishing boat - it was never really designed as such and I believe the Gemini's are relatively flat-bottomed and not too special when it gets a bit choppy.

I think you need to work out if you want a fishing boat - if so, I'd be inclined to look for something a bit more fit for purpose - or to restore a Broom Gemini - in which case this one is probably too far gone.

Really sorry to be so negative - maybe some others will chip in with some different ideas. Whatever you decide though - good luck with it and welcome to the forum!

Cheers,

BB

EDIT: Rapier posted while I was writing this... great minds.
CMBA Webmaster/Forum Admin.
ex Broom Saturn 'Gina' http://broomspeedboat.blogspot.com/

bluejames
CMBA Member: 0

Post by bluejames »

Hi Guys thanks for the heads up fortunatly I did'nt pay to much for it and either way I got a trailer out of the sale looking on the up side. Seems I got sold a pup ha.

Never the less I think I will play around a little bit and do it up the best I can to my ability considering what I will be working with and not get to carried away spending excessive amounts of money on it.

Appreciate your feedback and comments even though it was negative best to know where I stand.

I'll post some pics up once it is done.

Many thanks

James

Danikyle
CMBA Member: 900

Post by Danikyle »

Hi, I just bought this Gemini, the pics will give you an idea of whats been changed.

Regards
Karl

Danikyle

Post by Danikyle »

It may of helped if I had sent you the link :grrr:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220985427607? ... 1423.l2649

Sicobra
CMBA Member: 891

Post by Sicobra »

That's more like it, lovely looking boat, ironic that you started this thread with a request for a wind screen and this one is cracked but easily replaced, it is the frames that are hard to get so take care of it. :perfect:

Danikyle

Post by Danikyle »

Hi, ref: windscreen. Its been a nightmare trying to find a genuine windscreen, a few people said the can mould a new one, but it costs the earth. I decided to use Mad Millies recomendation and get Marine windows to make one out of Lexan, that cost £100.........not as cheap as I imagined for a small piece of clear plasic :( however, carpets done, just need to reupholster the seats and bobs your fanny....uncles your aunt :hilarious:

Danikyle

Post by Danikyle »