Delta Stern Gland

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Delta_Ed
CMBA Member: 0

Delta Stern Gland

Post by Delta_Ed »

Hi All,

When I got my Ray Wright Delta the prop shaft & stern gland assembly were not in place but did come with it. I was wondering if anyone with a delta could give me some pointers about the stren gland / seal set up? I'd appreciate any input I can get!

I have an aluminium tube with rubber seals at either end and it looks like the inside is rifled / groove for the flow of either water or lubricant when the shaft spins in it.

My main question is; there is also a hole in the side that could either be for a remote greaser or could be a water inlet (as with many stuffing boxes)? Does anyone know which it is for? When fitted correctly do these sternglands drip like stuffing boxes do or are they dry?

I also need to work out which way around it is fitted.....the rubber seal at one end has a deep groove in it, the other end is flush. Does anyone know which should face into the bilge and which towards the stern tube?

Any help appreciated!

Thanks,

Ed

Delburt

Re: Delta Stern Gland

Post by Delburt »

Hi Ed

I'll have a look at my Delta tomorrow and try to give you some help.

Derek

Delburt

Post by Delburt »

Hi Ed

Attached are a couple of photos which I hope help.

As to leaking not sure I've not had her in the water yet. Had one years ago and I think it dripped a little even when full of grease, couldn't be 100% sure though.

Cheers

Derek
delta stern gland.jpg
delta stern gland 2.jpg

Delta_Ed

Post by Delta_Ed »

Hi,

Thanks so much! That is exactly what I needed to see. At first I wasn't even sure that the random piece of metal lying in the hull was a stern gland at all!

But now I know it is and which way round it goes so....a new grease nipple and a couple of seals and it should be good to go back on. Now if only the hull was ready for it!

Thanks again,

Ed