stern gland stuffing box advice

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

petrolhead
CMBA Member: 644

stern gland stuffing box advice

Post by petrolhead »

I have got as far as stripping one shaft/stuffing box etc off our cruiser. I contemplated replacing stuffing boxes with modern seals but at near £300 each decided £15 of packing and a few hours would be time well spent :perfect:

The shaft removed has got quite significant wear caused by the packing running on it over the years, not scored or grooved but 3 or 4 very shiny smooth rings which dip as a gentle curve, like a finger ran in it. From the more experienced out there I welcome comments as to whether this is acceptable.

Prior to haul out I had no problems with the stern packing, indeed it has always been very good and reliable. It is stripped to replace due to age and the fact I have to remove shafts for cutlass bearing replacement.

catweazle
CMBA Member: 0

Re: stern gland stuffing box advice

Post by catweazle »

i would allways stick with the old style glands.Some people reverse the shafts where they can but not allways possable.
We have the old style on the nelson and actually loosen them off when using the boat we like to see them wet.
My shafts have more than a few shiny rings and i have no worrys.we tighten them up on leaving the boat and they drip probably once every ten seconds.
I dont like any of the modern seals as if they fail it seems theres not a lot you can do.i have a friend who fitted them and has got so paranoid he now has a camera on each one,crackers.you cant beat the old simple stuff.you can use all most any packing in an emergency. :perfect:

petrolhead

Post by petrolhead »

I am glad someone else said my thoughts....... hear horror stories about these newer style seals. That said, the old packing glands rely on the rubber hose which can fail but is less likely to.

I did splash out and got posh ptfe packing, so will be interesting to see how good it is.

Our glands were perfect, shame to have disturbed them really! The odd drip under way and next to nothing at rest, ever needed to fiddle with them just a squirt of grease on the greaser.

That brings be to another question, what grease nowadays? I dont seem to be able to get the old slighly runny keenol I think it was and my rusty old tin is empty.

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

I was alway taught to tighten the gland until you had a drip a minute when stationary, that way you know it is lubricated & not too tight. Too tight is BAD, if it grabs it can rip the hose off or tear it & then you have a big leak. Alway better to drip too much than not enough. The grease that is pumped in is primarily to lubricate the shaft bearing behind the stuffing box. I like the old style where the adjuster cap & locknut screw directly to the end of the stern tube - no hose to worry about.
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

petrolhead

Post by petrolhead »

yes despite the boat being over 30 years old she has rubber connecting the stern tube and stuffing box. I can see plenty of visits to the bilge after re launching to get the new packing right whilst it settles down as usual!

Anybody have best type grease ideas these days? Much of it available is just too thick.