Albatross deck fittings question

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Superaquarama
CMBA Member: 0

Albatross deck fittings question

Post by Superaquarama »

Hi Guys,

As I've not exactly been overwhelmed with offers (see Continental project in for sale section) I've decided to embark on the resto myself, partic. as the old paint removal may be easier than I'd thought.

But a question - I assumed that the deck fittings were anodised under the paint which had been applied, but closer inspection seems to show that they're just polished ali; am I right ?

I'm assuming the job's worth it, by the way - what's a decent restored Continental worth ? It owes me around £1500 and I'm sure another £700/£800 would do it as there's very little needed; that's not counting all the hours, of course !

Thanks

Tristan

Re: Albatross deck fittings question

Post by Tristan »

Hi
Good luck with the rebuild.
I am also about to embark on similar project. I'd love to know how you intend to keep it down to £700/£800
General rule is that the rebuild always costs more than you expect and you won't get your money back.
Only worth while if you are going to use the boat yourslef and get some enjoyment from it.
WOuld be useful to compare notes on your rebuild plans with mine
Some photos of current condition below

P.S All the deck fittings are alu and a polished finsh will bring them back to original.

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Twister (on this forum) has some bits for these. Always worthwhile PM'ing him if you need something. He'll likely insist on CMBA membership, but that's worthwhile regardless.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Superaquarama

Post by Superaquarama »

Thanks for the replies, chaps.

Well, most of the money's already been spent; I have around £1500 in it, what with a Ray Wright refurbished hull and any missing original parts obtained. The only correct bits I don't have are, as far as I'm aware, a header tank and a water pump, but as they're out of sight I'm not too bothered about these initially.

And even if the 1600 crossflow needs a bottom end rebuild that's very cheap, you can even get a rebuilt short motor for around £300.

On top of that there's just paint, really, plus the consumables cost of removing the old, as I have a coach trimmer client who owes me a favour or two who's promised to do the seats and tonneau for nothing. Still, Im sure you're right - there will be other stuff I haven't budgeted for in the end - always is !

And many thanks for the info about the ali fittings, that's encouraging.