Removal of Fuel from fitted Tank

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Dakota
CMBA Member: 690

Removal of Fuel from fitted Tank

Post by Dakota »

I am trying to remove all the old fuel from my Albatross petrol tank located under the back seat - i have siphoned so much out but not all - reluctant to remove tank.

I noticed some of you guys were using a tube with a marble inside at Falmouth to transfer fuel (Mr Parry) ?????? would this device empty the tank completely ?

If so what is it called and where can I source one from ?

sean-nós
CMBA Member: 793

Re: Removal of Fuel from fitted Tank

Post by sean-nós »

The one with the marble a is just siphon tubes that you don't suck, they need to be in fluid to work and when you move it up and down they cause suction.
I use one of these pumps and find it great it also works on oil and the pipes fit into very small spaces and suck them dry, just like a boat will do to you :hilarious:

LaDauphine

Re: Removal of Fuel from fitted Tank

Post by LaDauphine »

Easiest and most simple thing to do is to buy some petrol hose, cut it and put in one of those one-way squeeze pumps which outboard engines have in their fuel hoses. Either use as a siphon or, when it gets towards the end, tip the boat up and pump the last remains. Don't forget also to empty the fuel lines and carbs, the most effective way being to empty the fuel tank and then run the engine until it is out of fuel.

PS i think i have a spare one somewhere, i made up another one then found the original one...

R