Earthing a boat

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

petrolhead
CMBA Member: 644

Earthing a boat

Post by petrolhead »

I am currently working on Lynns boat, having not had a metal boat before it crossed my mind whether it should be earthed if it has electricals? It will have electric start outboard, bilge pump, light, horn etc.

The wiring on it is typically as with a grp boat and I have been doing the same.

I suspect if it were earthed as with a car there could be some very strange electrical corrosion issues to consider if it lived in water. I know we have to take care with rogue electrical currents with the cruiser.

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Re: Earthing a boat

Post by Alacrity »

I don't think so, just wire it as per a wood or glass boat. If the boat was to remain in the water (especially salt) then you would have to be careful but I doubt this will be an issue. You are referring to electrolitic corrosion which is why your cruiser has anodes on it. Speak to Chris H about it on Sunday if concerned, its what he does for a living!

Interestingly when I take a boat to Falmouth, where it is in salt water for 4 days, the anode(s) on the outboard are covered in white fur when the boat is recovered, so they are doing their job. Its been the same with both the Broom (1 anode) & the Stapely (2 anodes). One member fitted a new prop prior to launching & it fouled the trim tab on his 6 cyl Merc so the tab was removed temporarily. Well the prop was a huge success but when he recovered the boat any scratch or chip in the paintwork on the engine below the waterline was all white fur. So if leaving a boat in salt - especially if outboard or an ali boat - make sure the anodes are good & not painted, you would be amazed at the amount of Merc outboards I see with the trim tab, which is the only anode on many of them, painted!! :grrr: :grrr:
Attachments
Painted anode - DO NOT DO THIS!!
Painted anode - DO NOT DO THIS!!
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

petrolhead
CMBA Member: 644

Re: Earthing a boat

Post by petrolhead »

yes painted anodes is common. Our 1st boat unbeknown to me had them painted when I bought it. Following winter in the water we went to wind up the outdrive leg anchored off a beach and the external gearwheel dropped off into the drink because it had acted as the anode because the previous owner had painted the sacrificial anodes......this also rendered us without reverse!