Kill Switch

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

bigminiandy
CMBA Member: 739

Kill Switch

Post by bigminiandy »

Hi, Could somebody please tell me what wires should be connected to the kill switch on my delta. Although there's one present it isn't connected. It has four pins on the back. I thought it would just be two and fitted in line so was a little confused to find it had 4 electrical contacts.

Many thanks Andy
Life isn't a rehearsal!!!

Fenn and Wood restoration http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/g36 ... ood%20MK2/

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Re: Kill Switch

Post by Alacrity »

The four pins mean the the switch can be wired as a 'make' or 'break' switch. So you need to find which pair does what then decide if you want to interrupt the 12v supply to the coil - if so you connect the wires to the 'break' side. If you want to short the coil to earth then you would connect the wires to the 'make' side etc. etc.
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

Tatra Man
CMBA Member: 825

Post by Tatra Man »

Two kill switch/wiring questions in not many more days!

Use a meter to find out what your switch does as it only needs three terminals to give make and break options (Common, NO and NC).

Hopefully my reply to the previous question will help here.
I hope my new Alpine floats better than my old one!

bigminiandy
CMBA Member: 739

Post by bigminiandy »

Cheers guys. Very helpful
Life isn't a rehearsal!!!

Fenn and Wood restoration http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/g36 ... ood%20MK2/