Delta engine hatch hinges

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

deltasteve
CMBA Member: 0

Delta engine hatch hinges

Post by deltasteve »

Hi guys
you will pleased to know i have finally started to restore my delta,she used to be called "Dirty Girl" and is now called "my boat" as we are at constant loggerheads as to whos it is hence "my boat" lol and wondered if anyone knew if the chrome hinges on the engine bay cover are still available or weather its a case of visiting a platers ?
Cheers
Steve

rnb

Re: Delta engine hatch hinges

Post by rnb »

Early Fibreglass boats , same as the door hinges from the MK1 Mini.

deltasteve

Post by deltasteve »

Happy days
Thanks for that, mini bits are normally cheap as well
me thinks more shiney bits in the post soon :-)
Regards
Steve

Tatra Man
CMBA Member: 825

Post by Tatra Man »

I didn't think the Mini door hinges were ever plated though.
I hope my new Alpine floats better than my old one!

rnb

Post by rnb »

Okay , Mine has early Mini type which are brass and were plated , on a mini your correct they were originally painted . On a 3 litre they are flat and recessed and resemble something you might attach a kitchen cupboard door with ,for want of a better description .
Deltabrochure.jpg
There were also another type think possibly Hillman Imp Bonnet hinges ? Anybody

Deltasteve have you any photos to identify which type you have .

Tatra Man

Post by Tatra Man »

The Imp bonnet hinges are still available and were used on Elans and TVRs among others. Try not to pay more than £35 a pair.
The downside on many car hinges is that they were cast in mazak which is notorious for pitting. - Imp hinges are no exception.

rnb

Post by rnb »

Think those are the fellows Tatraman . This is a picture of an Ali delta with i believe the same type of hinges apologies its not a great shot. Click to enlarge.
671b_3.jpg

Tatra Man

Post by Tatra Man »

That certainly looks like them. The thing which identifies them is that the short bit has a concave end to it. Several cars used them so shop around. Rootes bits were used by many manufacturers - even my Gordon Keeble has Humber Sceptre headlamp and door trims and Humber SuperSnipe callipers and, if Ray Wright was using Alpine Marine engines at Albatross, then it's quite likely he would have used other Rootes bits at Delta.

Good buy

Post by Good buy »

Sorry to leave this on your post

Ray Wright was only a draftsman at Albatross and, i think he had left before the slipper stern was even designed. You go on and on about this sunbeam engine being so great in a boat. But you should understand that an albatross was a very expensive boat to make, it would have just taken to many man hours, to be cost effective. The main benefit of an albatross over other boats of its day was weight, my A series today weighs in at about 300kg all in with 90bhp at the prop. Albatross would have thought long and hard about what engine to use in the new boat (slipper stern) They would have needed a bit more power as the boat was bigger than the continental. The ford 105e or gt was ok but a little heavy for its power .The Coventry climax was more power full and lighter than the ford but twice the price. The sunbeam was a power weight price compromise. My climax is about 100kg i can pick it up and carry it, the ford i think is 135kg no i can not lift it on my own and i am not sure about the sunbeam. Also it has a bell housing more weight. Not great for power to weight ratio.

rnb

Post by rnb »

Dont rain on tatramans parade , if we are honest we all think our particular favourite is the best .

I agree wholeheartedly about power to weight ratio . Yes its one of the reasons an albatross is such a good performer , however you cannot overlook the fact that outright Hp is not the only factor your forgetting about torque .

I am not a great lover of the ford 3ltr its far too heavy and should produce at least a 100hp more than it does and is missing 2 cylinders ! But it produces torque , demonstrated by the great Delta V6 slalom races we used to have at fritton every year , no sustitute for cubic inches sir .

So your climax is missing cc's but has HP and has plenty of revs.

So in defence of my particular favourite! the xflow, pre xflow they actually weigh about 100kg but yes i cannot pick mine up even when i have had three weetabix , the original cast bellhousing is a heavy beast but can be replaced by an alloy one , and they are arguably the worlds most tuned engine . Completely standard 1600Gt xflow has 90hp with another 100hp possible depending on how deep your pockets are .

But probably somebody will now chime in with the propulsion desigh of the delta/albatrosses is flawed and even with 200hp we still wont crack 50mph ;)

And yes personally i would love to own a coventry climax and or Slipper sunbeam Albatross.