Bilge pump recommendations

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

floater
CMBA Member: 90

Bilge pump recommendations

Post by floater »

I am planning to fit a 12V automatic bilge pump to my 14ft Waverider Mustang :help: does anyone have any recommendations or brands to avoid.

Cheers

DH

petrolhead
CMBA Member: 644

Re: Bilge pump recommendations

Post by petrolhead »

I put a fully automatic one (switch is in the base) in the Broom Viking bought from Selbyboatcentre on e-bay. Its a johnson and was very inexpensive but most impressive quality for price. Easy to open up and clean too. Was only about £20 I think but they seem to have got a bit more costly, probably exchange rate collapse of sterling!!

Older version of this type http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JOHNSON-L450-DUO- ... 5ad309d467.

solitaire
CMBA Member: 511

Post by solitaire »

Hi - I would only reccomend you only use a good well known brand like Rule, Johnson, Whale, Jabsco - (there is lots of cheepo Chinese stuff to be avoided) - as for size (as big as you can fit!!) , - and an auto pump with a float switch that is still powered up when you turn the battery and ignition off helps.

(My Expierience! - 15 years as a senior scrutineer for offshore powerboats (all classes) - Its suprising how much water comes in through a split hull or a big rectangular hole in the bottom where someone didn't secure the battery! - I did see an awlul lot of sinking boats due to gear coming adrift or stuff not tightened up correctly - thats why I say the bigger the better!
They do say the most effective bilge pump is still a man with a bucket in a sinking boat!!

floater
CMBA Member: 90

Post by floater »

sorry for the tardy reply, been away again.

Thanks for the helpful tips I have seen a lot of cheap stuff on ebay etc and was planning on avoiding it as it is one bit of kit I need to rely on. The johnson / Mayfair looks good and workable so that is what I intend to fit along with one of those bicycle pump type bailers stored in a handy place in case all else fails.

DH