paint an all that jazz

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

jonboy

paint an all that jazz

Post by jonboy »

more paint than jazz I admit... HELLO !! all from a soon to be new member, with a bunch of questions...
there is a product here in sunny Portugal called 'Tapa Poros', literal translation 'hole filler'.. It is like a thick cellulose varnish used for the first coat on raw wood to fill grain and small imperfections... it dries immediately, well, in a couple of minutes literally, and sands down really easily leaving a totally silky smooth coat, Obviously therefore, not 'knot stopper' , meth based, but a cellulose thinners solvent based product... I use it on picture frame mouldings in the raw state prior to traditional French polishing, shellac in pure meth, basically, and get the perfect finish... you can build up several coats in a day if necessary, as you would with traditional lac polishishing The orientals used literally HUNDREDS of coats on papier maché and wood lacquered stuff.. rubbing back to almost nothing before the next coat, to get that glass like finish...
question...never seen anything like it UK... is it a porkandcheese curiosity?
question... it's cellulose based, so like car paint in the old days? will there be reactions with modern urethane varnishhes put on top...? Car finishes have to be as durable as anything the elements chuck at them?, don't they?
question..and why do I have to pay 3 or 4 times the price for Marine varnish than standard exterior DIY stuff and it still looks like s**t after a couple of seasons..
question Now this is interesting but as yet unverified..
It is getting very hard to buy 'traditional' oil based paint.. the classic household white spirit based 'gloss' paint... I hear it's eco reasons, and fair enough... in my Portuguese equivalent of B n Q you can only buy acrylic based, water thinnable gloss and eggshell paint... I have used it at home, and it's great , clean etc, but not used it on the boat yet...only interior, though they say it's exterior too..
anyone come across this yet,....Is it going to be as durable as the old gear.....?
Will we never be able to buy trad paints and varnishes soon?
I've been out of the UK for long enough to start losing the plot a bit in matters like this all answers greatfully blahblahblah
regards jonboy

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Re: paint an all that jazz

Post by Rapier »

I reckon everyone's stumped at the questions...

Classic Boat did a selection of articles on varnishes, with special emphasis on impact of Med climate. May be worthwhile looking at finding those through their archives. Most, if not all of us, use Epifanes at vast cost, but we've got covers and most live indoors too and are used sparingly (take last summer for example..it wasn't..).

On the paint front, again if your boat is in the water all the time then marine paints are the best there are. If not use common and garden oil based gloss, if you can get it. Again I doubt if there are many here that have used non oil based alternatives.

p.s liked the boat; have had similar thoughts about doing a Shetland 535 hull in the same manner.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Healey75

Post by Healey75 »

Hi, I've just been looking at boat paints and there's a big diffence between performance of different products, both Blakes and International have very good tech help lines. Suggest using a complete system from one supplier to ensure compatability. you can't put 2 pack on 1 pack for instance and 2 pack is no good if the boat flexes as in carvel or clinker and some 1 pack paints are not suitable for prolonged immersion ie a week in the water...I would not use any diy products on a boat personally, try to find a tech help line.

assegai
CMBA Member: 0

Post by assegai »

I think you will find that marine paints have a higher pigmet and Tung oil content which gives them better UV resistence. Domestic paints such as Dulux just dont work on boats, although I think Sev7en might have used a bit of Dulux Jade somewhere!!

se7en
CMBA Member: 434

Post by se7en »

Yes your right, still...... its only a cheap old wooden boat..!!! :lol:

I used Dulux on the boot top and the steering wheel as I wanted these two things the same colour as the upholstery, I took a piece of the upholstery vinyl into Homebase and they put it on there "magic eye" thingy and matched the colour, for the amount of use "Jade" gets Dulux is O.K. I would always use Marine varnish but I'm happy to use Dulux on the coloured bits,
However, if I were restoring a fiber glass boat I would spray it with automotive 2 pack paint, easy to apply, can be machine polished, and you can repair small area's.
Clive

Simmonds

Post by Simmonds »

Hi Jonboy
Am going to the Algarve in May, If I can get anything for you, I could bring it out(not a bl------dy engine!
Have a marine paint shop localy. Derek.

jonboy

Post by jonboy »

Hi Derek....
Thanks for the offer but I've just about done the painting and varnishing for this season...I hope you enjoy the Algarve... I don't know it very well, and some bits are pretty dire I gather, but the unspoilt parts are still lovely... The eastern end round Tavira is lagoons and gentle coast, the western Atlantic end can be spectacular...I'm away in May crewing a 40' cutter from Dutch Antilles to Azores and Lisbon or I'd say we met for a beer and a boat natter...
regards Jonathan