Boat taking on water

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

manicmondays0
CMBA Member: 0

Boat taking on water

Post by manicmondays0 »

Hi again,. Next question. When I took delivery of the boat about a year ago, it had a plastic champagne cork in the bung hole at the stern. Each time I put the boat in, I would insert the cork. When I took it out after a few hours of boating, there would be a dribble of water inside - but nothing more than a cupful.

Then about 3 weeks ago I thought I would replace said bung with a 'proper' screw-fit bung from plastimo. Since then, I'm taking on significant amounts of water; a good 5-6 litres in an hour and half. At this rate, I can't leave the boat for any length of time as it will fill with water.

Can anyone tell me - it seems evident that my replacing the bung has caused the problem - is there any reason why I can't just block up the hole permanently with fibreglass?

Thanks

Simon

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Re: Boat taking on water

Post by Alacrity »

None whatsoever - except how are you going to get any water out that gets in there? You could use a pump & sponge I suppose. Why not remove the new bung & find out what is wrong, then refit it with a good quality marine sealer.
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

Tremlett 15
CMBA Member: 73

Post by Tremlett 15 »

Alacrity wrote:None whatsoever - except how are you going to get any water out that gets in there? You could use a pump & sponge I suppose. Why not remove the new bung & find out what is wrong, then refit it with a good quality marine sealer.

Hi & welcome,

as Alacrity says, use marine sealant NOT "silicone"

see this

http://www.shortypen.com/essays/drain/

it may help

:wot:

:drink:

manicmondays0

Post by manicmondays0 »

Guys - thanks so much for your replies thus far. I think the most sensible approach will be to remove the current bung and start from scratch.

Much appreciated.

Simon

manicmondays0

Post by manicmondays0 »

Update - just to let you know, I replaced the bung and took the boat out at the weekend. We were on the water for 5 hours, most of that at full tilt - and there wasn't a drop of water in her afterwards... problem solved!

THANKS!

Tremlett 15
CMBA Member: 73

Post by Tremlett 15 »

manicmondays0 wrote:Update - just to let you know, I replaced the bung and took the boat out at the weekend. We were on the water for 5 hours, most of that at full tilt - and there wasn't a drop of water in her afterwards... problem solved!

THANKS!

thats GOOD.............. any photos of ur day on the water..... :D

:wot:

:drink:

manicmondays0

Post by manicmondays0 »

Unfortunately - no pictures yet! When we go out, I have to drive the boat - but I'm also the photographer... so that doesn't really work out too well! I need to find someone else to stand on the bank and take some pics as we whizz past! I'm working on it!