soda blasting

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

piermaster
CMBA Member: 0

soda blasting

Post by piermaster »

Just had my Albatross soda blasted by a firm called Gentle Touch Blast Cleaning. Result fantastic job, saved weeks of work removing 40 years of old paint. No it did not knock any rivets out! and it is safe enough to use on a coke tin Piermaster

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Re: soda blasting

Post by Alacrity »

I have done carbs & bits with it here (not proffesionally & I ended up looking like an extra from the snowman :D ) & I agree it works great & the residue dissolves in water & is harmless. The way forward I think.
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

I'd like to try it on my Slinky, rather than nitromors / a winter with a scalpel.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

grant

Post by grant »

piermaster wrote:Just had my Albatross soda blasted by a firm called Gentle Touch Blast Cleaning. Result fantastic job, saved weeks of work removing 40 years of old paint. No it did not knock any rivets out! and it is safe enough to use on a coke tin Piermaster
Out of interest,how much did they charge for that?
Grant :thumbsup:

piermaster
CMBA Member: 0

Post by piermaster »

The cost was £300 which was 5 hours of blasting. They used 5 bags of soda and eventually ran out of diesel for the compresser!