Propellors

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Propellors

Post by Rapier »

Who are the best propellor reconditioning / tuning companies?
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

rnb
CMBA Member: 0

Re: Propellors

Post by rnb »

Have recently had a Big Twin prop repaired by Steel Developments, was in very poor condition but came back looking like new.

Have used them once before for some Delta props , One of the props i was sure was only fit for the bin.Have allways been happy with the quality of the repair and the service

Not sure if they are the cheapest , i know some people use other repair outfits.

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

I have used the firm in Poole that Capt Tarry knows of, not had a problem yet (apart from wiv me memory which refuses to divulge the name).
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Need to find someone who might be able to do Slinky props - the hubs are straight Merc 200, ad infinitum..just LHR os likely hens teeth.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

twister
CMBA Member: 32

Post by twister »

I'd suggest Propeller Solutions, in Dorset. www.propellersolutions.co.uk/

They've always done my race props, and also they finish the Albatross/Delta props that we sell. Always a nice job, just tell them what you want done and the finish you need.

Talk to Brian or Thomas, tell them I sent you and they'll charge you double!

rod

Jonty

Post by Jonty »

Hi Rod
I stumbled across this old post & wondered if you have any props suitable for an Alpine or know where I can. I'm even having problems sourcing new Radice props so any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Tatra Man
CMBA Member: 825

Post by Tatra Man »

Hi, folks,

I, too, found this old thread whilst trying to see if my query had already been answered so I hope no-one minds me adding to it.

I have Alpines 2002 and 2003 and one has a two bladed prop. and one a three bladed prop.

These are the only markings I can find on the three-bladed prop. from 2002:-

. . . . . and these on the two-bladed prop. on 2003:-

So my questions are:-

On the prop. from 2002 I appreciate that the 10x10 means it's a 10" diameter 10" pitch prop. and I can see that it's three-bladed and rotates ccw but what does the 9294 signify? and why is it 4¾" from centre to tip making it 9½" in diameter?

On the prop. from 2003, I can see that it's a two-bladed prop. and rotates ccw but what does the SIMMONDS 275 signify and why is it, again, 9½" in diameter?
I hope my new Alpine floats better than my old one!

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

I would guess the numbers are the prop manufacturers i.d. numbers. Re. the Simmonds prop - is too simple to suggest it is made by & from a Simmonds? :hmmm:
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

Tatra Man
CMBA Member: 825

Post by Tatra Man »

I wondered about that too. Up until the Alpine, all Albatross boats used clockwise props so they could well have bought one or two ccw props in from Simmonds - but my knowledge of Simmonds boats is virtually zero and I therefore have no idea whether they made their own.
I hope my new Alpine floats better than my old one!