1980 Broom Saturn - maximum engine size??

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Alfa Al
CMBA Member: 0

1980 Broom Saturn - maximum engine size??

Post by Alfa Al »

Hi Guys, I’ve just bought a 1980 Broom Saturn. I bought her based on the overall condition of the boat. However, the engine fitted is a 90’s/00’s era Honda 4 stroke 40hp.

While this I’m sure suits many and is a fine engine it just doesn’t look right on her and I can’t get over that! I would like to fit a period Mercury, minimum 50hp as she will need to carry 3 and pull a water skier.

I’ve seen various different info on the max size for these boats from 50hp to 90hp, a rather large variation! Being a 1980 mine is 13ft 9, not the earlier shorter 13ft model. It seems difficult to find these correct Mercury engines in good or restored condition. I’ve been offered a lovely restored 85hp, which seems a little big to me and I don’t want to over power her, or more importantly, overload or over stress the transom.

Any help or info you give on this would be much appreciated.

Cheers, Alex

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Re: 1980 Broom Saturn - maximum engine size??

Post by Rapier »

Welcome! The Saturn is rated to 65hp. Mine had a 50hp Mercury and was good with 3 or 4 pax (back to back seats tho') and 30+mph..it was repowered with a twin cylinder Mariner / Yamaha 60hp and went very well. If it's a Mercury 85hp, then it's the same weight as the 65 (4 cylinder) and will be more than adequate. If the transom is sound, without rot, then there's no issue. Plenty of 70s and 80s Mercury 50s about, if you want to go higher hp and 3 cylinders look for a 60/70 Yamaha, or 70hp/75hp Johnson / Evinrude 3 cylinder looper.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Alfa Al

Post by Alfa Al »

Many thanks for the reply Rapier. I stumbled across an old brochure shot on here after my post and found the 65hp recommendation. To the best of my knowledge the transom is in good condition through out.
I would be happy with a late 70’s/early 80’s 60hp Mercury, but with power trim and tilt. However, I’ve been looking everywhere I can think of on a daily basis for the past month and only seen one, which sold instantly so I missed by the time I’d seen it.
It’s very useful to know about the weight, that was my main concern. I hadn’t realised the 80 was the same basic block etc as the smaller units.
Do you know of any available in the 50/60hp range range?

I’ve just joined the club as I’m hoping to attend some meets with you guys when the restrictions on this type of thing ease off.

Actually, as you seem to have much knowledge on the Brooms, mine is quite ‘basic’ in spec. I’d like to add some nav lights and dash gauges, but want her to look right so chrome type stuff. Any ideas on where I can get the right parts please?

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

I know of a 50hp Merc for sale. Is the same as my '79 (pic below), so a nice combination of 'modern' ignition, fuel pumps integral to the carbs and no plastic face plate. It's in better cosmetic condition than mine, so near mint.

The Saturn I had was 'boring' too (apart from it's colour..), but I like a boat that doesn't have holes cut in the dash, poppers for a cover drilled everywhere, too much bling / step pads, horns and mirrors - less is more for me. As a buyer am more likely to walk away from a highly customised classic than one that looks original and period. Faria make intruments that look OK though, but the problem is most of the deck hardware that is 60's 70s period is made from mazak / zamak and just doesn't last without pitting.
Attachments
Picture 037 (Large).jpg
P1210057 (Large).JPG

Alfa Al

Post by Alfa Al »

Hi Rapier, do you know if the 50 has electric start and power trim and tilt please. If so what kind of price it’s up for?

Thanks for all your input so far, much appreciated!

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

It's an electric start, but not PT&T. Hard to find 50s with that kit, as they're generally on boats that are light enough and short enough not to need it and in terms of tilting they're light enough to manage. Have seen more of the later '80s models with it though..

Post a phone number here (I'll delete it when seen) and I'll get the owner to get in touch. The one above was up for sale last year at £1100, but they're so hard to find in that condition, that I'll keep it until I have a boat to put it on. You might be able to find a good 90s 40/50hp, or 60/70hp 3 cylinder Yamaha for that price with PT&T included, if you don't mind not having a period motor. I repowered my '68 boat with a 90s Yamaha and loved it for it's power, complete reliability and the sound it made.

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

Interesting looking deck hardware / bow lamps, etc. in this catalogue...

http://www.tendercraftboats.com/catalogue_fittings.pdf

Alfa Al

Post by Alfa Al »

Thanks again for your input Rapier, but I’ve now found what I was really after. I’ve just bought an early 80’s Mercury 75 Thunderbolt that’s had a mainly freshwater life and came complete with the control box and all the power trim and tilt bits in full working order.

I will write a post about it all when I’ve tested her out with the Honda currently fitted and the Merc when that goes on.

The info on the deck gear and lights is really useful, thanks.