wood stain/ matching ?

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

kwoffa
CMBA Member: 1180

wood stain/ matching ?

Post by kwoffa »

Hi chaps...
i am trying to match or blend my boat sides,it is ply and has been varnished however on the rear quarters a union jack sticker was aplied and removed..this made a rather dark area where it had been,i have used Rustins two pack bleach but now need to re-varnish...the original finish is a rather nice Blonde honey colour...what is best to use and blend..i dont think i can remove any more of the staining,i have done it several times mow..i guess i will not be able to get it bang on..but near enough would be great....i have tried to upload pictures but file is to big,,,

kwoffa

Re: wood stain/ matching ?

Post by kwoffa »

Picked up a couple Varnish stains and getting a lot of success with it..

water_buoy
CMBA Member: 842

Post by water_buoy »

The best thing for lifting heavy stains or watermarking from wood is oxalic acid, it comes in powder form usually and you mix it with warm water. Good for pulling out stains and colour that run deep into the grain.

With colouring the wood I prefer to stain the bare wood with a spirit based dye first as you can quickly (flashes off in about 2 mins) apply light coats with a cloth until the colour is right then apply just a clear varnish over the top. That way you tend to get a much more natural wood colour without streaking in the finish.
My Boat Building Facebook Page http://www.facebook.com/rockethydroplanebuild

kwoffa

Post by kwoffa »

Thats great thanks for your help..its all new to me....