grp work to floor

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

petrolhead
CMBA Member: 644

grp work to floor

Post by petrolhead »

I need to do some work to a ply floor in a grp boat hull. boat to remain nameless for now as its new to us and will presented to the motley crew of itchy scratchy boats in due course.

boat has had a new ply floor fitted, badly! gaps around edges and one layer of awful strip grp mat around edge breaking off.

I can bond it in better no problems, after looking under to check it should be left in place!

I wish to then glass over the top and apply a flocoat/gelcoat finish to the surface to paint if necessary.

Not done any grp since making canoes 30 years ago! :hmmm:

so,

1) reckon floor is about 4m2 in total..how much resin!

2) what type of flocoat and how much?

3) Was going to use usual chopped mat and maybe a layer of finish tissue over? with final flocoat/gelcoat on top. any comments

Feedback from those with the t shirt already much appreciated.

OJ77
CMBA Member: 791

Re: grp work to floor

Post by OJ77 »

I replaced the floor in my Gemini and used the following,

One layer of 600csm over the ply floor(6mm wood)

3ltr/5kg of resin/flocoat (was enough to re-coat/paint interior)

I can find out the brand/name of the flocoat but it was old and had been sitting in a corner of the factory for years.

sean-nós
CMBA Member: 793

Post by sean-nós »

Hi I built my boat with west system 105 and 205 http://www.westsystem.com/ss/pumps-and- ... -equipment I used 6oz fiberglass cloth over the pyl wood with about 3 coats of resin put on with a roller to get a good finish and hide the cloth and showing the wood grain,did the same on the bottom were I sanded to get the final finish. You should have plenty in a gallon can,you will know after you put on your first tow coats,Hope this helps. Image Image

floater
CMBA Member: 90

Post by floater »

Very rough rule of thumb is to allow same weight of resin as cloth so 4sqM 600gsm cloth =2.4KG resin you can reduce this quite a lot but always best to be prepared some weaves and woods soak up less or more.

for glassing onto wood I use SP systems Ampreg 21 which has a very low viscosity so keys well into even hard woods but it isn't cheap and needs to be above 18deg c to cure effectively, hence "take your shakespeare to work day" coming up soon

Cant help with flowcoat though, never used the stuff. however CFS. http://www.cfsnet.co.uk/ stock a good range of resin and associated gear and also have details of how to use them.

If you are leaving the floor bare resin faced it may be worth considering some sort of grip finish to save you dissapearing over the side whilst on your way to the outboard for some fine tuning.

DH

Healey75

Post by Healey75 »

Flow coat...might be a bit late now, if you still want flow coat you can make it up easily if you used polyester resin, it's a mix of gel coat, lay up resin and liquid wax. you must use the wax, it makes the finished surface semi gloss but more important it's not sticky. I can get the formula if you want it, or advise a supplier in Chichester who can make it up.

I did not go this route as it does leave a smooth surface..slippery?, Suggest using a deck paint which should go straight down on the bonded floor, check with the maker...time will tell if it works.

Blue Mist

Post by Blue Mist »

Hi Healey, would be most grateful for the name and address of the Flow Coat supplier in Chichester.

Healey75

Post by Healey75 »

Jago Developments tel 01243 527875 will be able to help, they can send by carrier (I think) or you can collect, just by the Bognor roundabout on the A27, shut for Christmas now, if it's any help I have some white somewhere, you can it if it helps, have maybe a couple of litres but can't get to it until 27 Dec. :drink: send me a PM if it's wanted
Growing up is optional...

Blue Mist

Post by Blue Mist »

Many thanks for the info and offer, but not required untill the early spring. Is it available in various colours? (yellow required) would i be right in assuming its applied by roller?

petrolhead
CMBA Member: 644

Post by petrolhead »

too late..haha, boat sits under a pile of snow where I put it after collection. It will be into next year when the weather warms a bit. Its just not worth bothering when its minus 5 outside :o

I found a supplier of flocoat with wax and put it on my Christmas list! with a pile of other grp stuff. Fingers crossed!

Healey75

Post by Healey75 »

Flow coat can be made up in any colour, best if you can find a standard one ie from RAL or BS, Jago can supply all the grp materials that you need plus any associated gear. Phone 'em before calling (http://www.jagodevelopments.com/) especially to sort a colour or I think they can send materials by carrier but check with them.

Suggest using a short mohair roller to get the stuff down and then lay it off with a brush to get the best finish, think of painting with yoghurt! :!:
Last edited by Healey75 on Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Growing up is optional...