Sheath or not

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

floater
CMBA Member: 90

Sheath or not

Post by floater »

Finaly got around to cutting the floor out of the Waverider Mustang at the weekend with a veiw to doing some repairs to the support structure beneath it and replacing the floor itself.

The question therefore is:- When I come to replace the floor panel (8'x4' 12mm marine ply) should I sheath both sides in glassfibre and seal the edges or just sheath the top and edges to let the wood breath but possibly soak up moisture. When I had my Yarecraft surveyed recently, in conversation the surveyor said that timber that is clad in glass both sides will rot away in no time as it cannot breath hence the question above, but it also makes me wonder what about paint and varnish.

Any guidence or experience gratefully accepted

DH

se7en
CMBA Member: 434

Re: Sheath or not

Post by se7en »

When you have cut and finished the floor to size, coat both sides and the edge with two coats of epoxy, then bond the floor in with epoxy and mat, follow the manufactures instruction, we always use West system, epoxy will 'wick' into the wood , polyester , normal fibre glass resin,won't,it only sits on the surface and the bond quite often will fail after a year or two, we have all seen ply lifted away and leaving the fibre glass behind.

Clive

floater
CMBA Member: 90

Post by floater »

Thanks for your reply

I have been using SP systems Ampreg 21 for other wooden areas like the transom reinforcement as it has a long pot life and is alot thinner than SP 106 and wests, so it wets out realy well even on heavy cloth and keys well into wood. It is more the potential sealing and breathing aspect that worried me although from your answer it is obvious you do not forsee any issues.

DH

se7en

Post by se7en »

Just give the wood a couple of good coats and bond it in, you will always end up with water getting under the floor and being trapped , so long as the floor material is sealed, and the area beneth has a drain bung, you should not have any problems.

Clive

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

I will bear this in mind as I do the same to the Broom V1400 this winter, :( I have drilled holes from the well into the 'sealed' underfloor area & smelly water ran out for 5 - 10 mins & it has been dripping ever since - & that is after 2 weeks. :roll:

Still, at least it gives me an opportunity to move the front seats back a couple of inches to allow se7en in! :shock: :D
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

se7en

Post by se7en »

Alacrity,
The smelly water under the floor on a V1400 is put there to help the balance of the craft....great care must be taken to put the same amount back........honest....!!... :D

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

Now tell me honestly - what balance?? It ain't got nun! :( ? Goes OK in a straight line though & the motor's nice. :D

Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!