moonfleet wind screen

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

tmc

moonfleet wind screen

Post by tmc »

can anyone tell me were i can get hold of a replacement or copy screen for a moonfleet sliver shadow
thanks terry

BroomBroom
CMBA Member: 711

Re: moonfleet wind screen

Post by BroomBroom »

Hi Terry,

You could just take a paper template off the old screen (I notice you appear to have the original surround framework - oh lucky man :mrgreen: ) take it to your local friendly plastics guy and get him to knock it up in 3mm Lexan/Polycarbonate. This will probably be thinner than the original but it will take a cold bend. More susceptible to scratches than the original acrylic (which would need to be worked 'hot' to get the shape) - but bullet proof.

Fit it by starting in the middle at the bottom and working out towards the edges (easier to write than to do) - it works.

Others may have different ideas, but that worked for me!

Cheers,

Robin
Attachments
Polycarb Screen
Polycarb Screen
CMBA Webmaster/Forum Admin.
ex Broom Saturn 'Gina' http://broomspeedboat.blogspot.com/

Healey75

Post by Healey75 »

It worked for me on Rampage, our Broom, I cut the polycarb at home with a sharp fine blade in a hacksaw...not a problem, just trust the template shape when you wrestle the thing into shape on the boat as you fit it, you won't break it, this stuff will take a 90 deg cold bend and not snap...try bending/breaking an off-cut before you fit the main screen. It's used for riot sheilds and stuff pretty well unbreakable. You mission should yo......this message will self destruct in.......blah de blah de blah...good luck!

tmc

Post by tmc »

thanks for the info i did not realize it was so easy to bend
i ve got the engine running on her now and the v6 sounds as sweet as a nut just a slight problem with the starter motor but nothing that can't be sorted
May need some info on best way to clean and prepare fiberglass for painting and whats best paint to use on a boat can you use ordinary cellelose or will it peal ?
Thanks Again
Terry

BroomBroom

Post by BroomBroom »

You're welcome...

I'm sure plenty will chime in on the painting front, but time spent prepping the surface will pay dividends. Personally, I wouldn't use ordinary cellulose. I've always had good results from using Blakes single pack enamel over the correct Blakes primer. If you visit my resto diary (there's a link in my sig down there) you should find some stuff that might be of interest. No way do I class myself as an expert on painty stuff - but sanding, filling, sanding, primer, sanding, primer, sanding, primer, gloss, gloss, gloss (with a roller and tipped off) seems to work for me :)

Oh - and don't try to paint around fittings...

Cheers,

R

se7en
CMBA Member: 434

Post by se7en »

Are you going to spray paint the boat or brush paint? If you are spraying you could use automotive 2 pack paint, in the yard we offer our customers the choice of automotive two pack or Awl - Craft 2000 , both of these are machine polishable, so if you mark the boat you can spray in the repair and polish it in, with oil based paints you can't, however,if you are brush painting you will have to use a conventional paint. Either way, the boat must be well prepared , any "star" crazes must be ground out and filled, and any old paint should be removed , not just rubbed down, and which ever way you go,spray or brush,follow the paint manufactures recomended system, the more care you put in the better the boat will look when it's finnished

Clive

tmc

Post by tmc »

hi
Thanks for the help on what paint to use I have a compressor and spray gun but limited garage space so may brush paint, either way I will have to wait for warmer weather to do the job outside in the mean time sounds like iv'e got alot of sanding and preparing to do
Cheers Terry

BroomBroom

Post by BroomBroom »

Terry - how's it going?

R