Durafix aluminium repair

Want to talk about classic motorboats, recent and forthcoming CMBA events or your latest escapades? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

water_buoy
CMBA Member: 842

Durafix aluminium repair

Post by water_buoy »

I don't know if anyone has come across this product before but I think it could be a valuable tool for us classic boaters! I found this online after recently breaking a piece of cast Ali on my new steering wheel :grrr: anyway I used it today and it's a life saver to say the least.
Called Durafix it's basically a flux free rod that will weld (more like braze) aluminium. You can do it with a standard propane/butane blow lamp as it only needs to be heated to about 370° plus it finishes up being almost the same colour so it can be used on finish items.
No need for expensive Ali welding equipment and also being low temp reduces the risk of distortion, it can be used on thick or thin Ali.
It seems to have endless uses, leaking hull seams, prop repair, thousands of broken cast pieces on outboards throughout the club and could probably even repair exhaust manifolds etc.
It seems strong too, don't think I'd go making a prop strut with it but for repairs it's :thumbsup:
Anyway that's enough praise, here's a YouTube clip, and it does work that well :perfect:
I got 5 rods plus the stainless brush for about £18 on ebay

I'll post some pics tomorrow of my repaired wheel
My Boat Building Facebook Page http://www.facebook.com/rockethydroplanebuild

sean-nós
CMBA Member: 793

Re: Durafix aluminium repair

Post by sean-nós »

Looks good :thumbsup: I might have a go at making a cutwater out of aluminium as you don't need much heat it shouldn't bend out of shape.

water_buoy

Post by water_buoy »

Good idea, let us know how you get on!
Here's my repaired wheel spoke after a rough sand the break was right on the bend of the spoke (not the hairline at the tip). I'm in the process of polishing it at the moment and it's coming up nicely. The durafix finishes slightly brighter than the Ali but that may just be the age/grade of the casting. More pics to come once I've polished!
image.jpg

Bronteboxer
CMBA Member: 915

Post by Bronteboxer »

This product looks to be a copy of an ally welding product which has been around for years - LUMIWELD - Generally used in model engineering, car and motorbike small ally repairs, castings, carb mounting lugs etc. The product has rods in the same length, stainless brush, application and the same melting temp. I bought my set of LUMIWELD years ago and having bought a 10 rod pack I have just looked to find I still have 8.5 rods left.

Durafix is either a better job or you guys are doing it right and I aren't.... because I have never had much luck with LUMIWELD and just reading a quick review on Amazon, somebody was complaining about the same results as me! It is very temperature critical and I suspect Durafix will be the same.
But very interesting to see a good job with this type of product.

I have seen jobs done on stands at shows to sell Lumiweld.....maybe I should have another go....must try harder!

water_buoy

Post by water_buoy »

Perhaps the patent ran out so someone else has jumped on the wagon, that often seems to happen with things like this. I found it easy enough to use and it didn't seem to temperature critical, as long as the parts hot and clean enough it will flow!
Here it is post polishing, if you look closely the repair is slightly brighter but I'm pleased with how it came out. Pics of the finished wheel to follow once I've finished varnishing.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Mirak
CMBA Member: 672

Post by Mirak »

...and before that, we had TechnoWeld. I have done some brazing/welding with it and still have a few rods left.

I used it to replace/create a stern tube assembly for my Simmonds Ski boat. It didn't break or fall out, which is more than you can say for some of the rivets!

the engine mounts were welded using my MIG welder. Yes you can, but it's a very manic process.

Cheers,
Scott
********************************************************************************
* Swinging the World by the tail since 1960 *
********************************************************************************