Spam postings

Want to talk about classic motorboats, recent and forthcoming CMBA events or your latest escapades? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Spam postings

Post by Alacrity »

I would just like to inform you that we are doing what we can to remove the spam for a certain room in the house where we cook. I have word censors in place that is why I can't use the name of the room as will come out as 'Kitchen'. We are banning all these users (9 in the last 7 days) but they are plentiful so they return, quite why I don't know as clearly they get no business from us. The posts are put on by people (as opposed to machines) from Indonesia & other than manually approving all new board members - something that may have to happen - there is little we can do about it at the moment. It is tiresome & wastes a lot of time so bear with us if at times they are there for a while.

So if you type a post out & some of the words are changed to SPAM or something ridiculous my apologies, but you will have to edit your post & change the word to something else.

The Admin team
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

sean-nós
CMBA Member: 793

Re: Spam postings

Post by sean-nós »

I think they are onto your plan :D At least these are clean spam we were getting some really disgusting ones an a forum over here :grrr:
I know your pretty much on top of things but do you want us to report them every time they pop up or is there anything else we can do :thumbsup:

Alacrity
Site Admin

Post by Alacrity »

By all means continue reporting these irritating posts Fergal, hopefully we will be on to the fairly quickly. I think there is little else anyone can do, other than the aforementioned individual approval. We are trying to avoid this as it is inconvenient to both new board members as well as the admins/mods.

Just out of interest I have banned 4 spammers this morning already. :roll:

Edit: make that 5!
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

Alacrity
Site Admin

Post by Alacrity »

Well I'm afraid the spammers came back again with gusto, I deleted 19 in the 7 days up to last Monday :twisted: , and so, as a result, all new board members now have to be approved by admins.

A pain for all (believe me) but it was getting ridiculous again. Hopefully, unless the odd one slips through, we should be OK now.