1977 Almarine Meteor Jet Boat

Want to talk about classic motorboats, recent and forthcoming CMBA events or your latest escapades? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

JetDriver
CMBA Member: 0

Re: Hi CMBA

Post by JetDriver »

Ok cheers, doesn't sound too difficult.
Have heard some of the UA jets had grates but have never seen one. Let me know how you get on with fabricating one. A tip for the grate design is to keep the bottom of the bars square (the leading edge) and the top of the bars sharp (the trailing edge). Sounds the wrong way round i know but having square bar section at the base helps to stop rocks getting stuck between the bars and sharpening the trailing edge helps flow.
1977 Almarine Meteor Jetboat Restoration http://almarinemeteor.blogspot.com/

JetDriver

Post by JetDriver »

The Meteor lives again!!! :D

Some minor issues on its test day such as snapping the rear impeller off the shaft but nothing unrepairable! Went pretty well but jet unit needs a lot more work if its going to be quick.

Will post up videos once i've got them off the camcorder.
Last edited by JetDriver on Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tremlett 15
CMBA Member: 73

Post by Tremlett 15 »

Thanks for the post & pics, look forward to the vid, boat looks good,

where is the lake ? is it open to the public or is it private ??

:wot:

JetDriver

Post by JetDriver »

Cheers. The lake is is Shropshire... private i'm afraid. Pure boating heaven, was a privilage to be able to play there.

JetDriver

Post by JetDriver »

Here's a vid. Was quite pleased with the handling.

Tremlett 15
CMBA Member: 73

Post by Tremlett 15 »

Hi,p n g, good vid,

looks well in the water, what speed were you getting ??

JetDriver

Post by JetDriver »

Tremlett 15 wrote:Hi,p n g, good vid,

looks well in the water, what speed were you getting ??

Not sure on speed. What do you reckon? I think its got potential for another 10knots with the water jet sorted cos it felt awful. Also was using the standard map on the ignition, didn't do any tweaks to timing curve, mixture etc.

surfboy26

Post by surfboy26 »

I am new to this post, but I recently bought buccaneer inboard jet boat fitted with a Rotax motor. I am in the process of restoring it. I took it for a test run last weekend, but without any success. The boat is probably a late 1970’s model and the motor has no indication of the model on it. I assume it would be a 637?? I have attached a photo of the motor if someone could identify it. The motor starts easily on land and revs up quickly with the water hose plugged on it, but the moment that boat is placed in the water it quickly dies. It is almost as if the back pressure of the water is too high and the motor lacks power to turn the jet. I have a feeling that the rings might need replacement, but measured the compression at 800kPa. Can anyone please help me with a workshop manual or more info on this motor
Attachments
unknown rotax
unknown rotax

huntsman 31

Post by huntsman 31 »

hi mate i do have a manual for the rotax 637 given to me by the very nice man Dom, who owns the yellow seafire meteor like my self. dose your engine have the BING slide carburettor on it as i have the manual for that too "thanks to Dom". i got my engine out of a buccaneer,only took it out once but the pump let it down, still plained tho with me and a mate on it "Very good fun"more photos of your boat would be nice will watch cmba a bit more from now on been workin to hard.little michael :thumbsup:

JetDriver

Re: 1977 Almarine Meteor Jet Boat

Post by JetDriver »

HAPPY 2010 :D :D :D

Been in hibernation over the winter, but now the weathers warming up i'm starting to think about boats again :wot:

I thought i'd rename this thread because the original "HI CMBA" message turned out to be a bit more of a repair history thread :roll:

Despite my inactivity on the forum, the boat has had some attention. The poor speed performance i am addressing by rebuilding the jet unit. I measured the tip clearance between the impellers and the pump housing at just under 3mm (not good!). Jets should run as small a tip clearance as possible to improve efficiency (about 0.2mm) so its surprising it went at all and didn't just blow bubbles. To correct the problem (caused by a bent shaft), i've had a new shaft built using duplex stainless steel, the rear impeller has been repaired, some of the bent impeller blades have been straightened, and the whole assembly has been mounted on a lathe and the tips skimmed so i can get the tip clearance right dowm. It will be very interesting to see the difference it makes. I'll put some pics up soon.

The jet pump housing has been stripped and is being powdercoated and new impeller wear rings will be made up. I'm also treating the engine bay to a shiny stainless steel exhaust and new hatch cover :perfect:

Surfboy. Sorry for missing your post. Not sure what model your engine might be but its not a Type 637. Thats a strange problem with the stalling. Its like you have a hydrophobic boat LOL. You've checked compression which is good. I'd hazard a guess that the jet unit is not running freely, but maybe for starters try setting the idle speed a bit higher to give it more of a chance. Other than that its the usual stuff... check carb, jets not clogged, fuel pump working, spark plugs, timing.

Looking forward to the boating season ahead. I'm hoping to attend the Windermere and Loch Lomond (late summer) events.

Dom