1977 Almarine Meteor Jet Boat

Want to talk about classic motorboats, recent and forthcoming CMBA events or your latest escapades? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

blownethanol
CMBA Member: 0

Re: 1977 Almarine Meteor Jet Boat

Post by blownethanol »

Hi, I have a Meteor. It took me a bit to figure out what it was but this topic is very helpful.
I'm in the states and I can't find a single person here that has one or has ever heard of them.
Mine was completely gutted when I got it except for the drive unit. Someone had set a motorcycle engine into it and it looks like they started to try and adapt some things but didn't get too far.
I removed the drive and am fitting a Yamaha 701 and a newer jet into it from a "donor" Wetjet jet ski. The glass work is just about done.
Actualy, I'm not sure if mine was gutted or if it was just never completely assembled. There were no holes in the rear for motor plates and no windshield or mounting holes.
Someone did a really bad job on the gelcoat as well. I had to sand off quite a bit of color to even read the HIN and the boat is full of runs. It had also been sitting outside for many years, there was about 6 inches of dirt inside the hull.
I'm glad I finaly found a few others to reference to, I want to get this thing running by next spring.
Thank you for starting this post!!!!!
Attachments
Mini Jet 003.jpg

JetDriver

Post by JetDriver »

Hi, nice boat you have there. Like the colour.
The Meteors were imported to the States from the UK but i'm not sure in what numbers.

I've done a blog on my Meteor (link below). I'm still adding to it but hopefully there's some useful info that will help you.

http://almarinemeteor.blogspot.com/

The jet ski engine and pump conversion is a great idea and will improve performance and parts availability. Would be great to see your progress pics. Please get in touch if you need a windshield template :wot:

Haven't had mine on the water this year, but have done some repairs to the jet unit. Its had a new shaft, wear rings, seals and bearings, and powdercoated castings.
1977 Almarine Meteor Jetboat Restoration http://almarinemeteor.blogspot.com/

Howstar

Post by Howstar »

This would make a good article in the Cmba magazine, the blog spot

JetDriver

Post by JetDriver »

Howstar wrote:This would make a good article in the Cmba magazine, the blog spot
Cor, mag feature! :woo: Will send info/pics on the jet unit refurb when finished. Who's best to send to?

seafire25

Post by seafire25 »

Hi there just wondering which fuel tap or lever you used in the threaded part of the tank?
Cheers

Raceredi

Post by Raceredi »

Hello, I am completely new to the forum, and found it after doing some internet research. I just purchased 2 of these 1977 Almarine Meteors. One of them has a motor in it, but not sure if everything is working, and the other doesn't have a motor in it at the moment. I do not know anything about these boats, and am hoping to get pointed in the right direction. Both boats are in great shape and don't seem to have been used much at all. Wondering if there are any parts available? I need to make 2 new windsheilds as the one has a cracked one, and the other doesn't have one. Need to figure out what motor would be easiest to place into the other boat. The jets are there and look to be twin prop jets. I was told the one with the engine needs some kind of seal or bushing in the jet. The other jet looks brand new. Also, can the gas tanks be removed? I would like to clean them out before I put fuel in them. Also, what is the gas/oil mix for the rotax motor. Sorry about such a long post, I could go on and on. Any info would be greatly appreciated. My email is Raceredi2@aol.com also. Thank you so much.

JetDriver

Post by JetDriver »

Welcome!

Hadn't checked the forum for a while so good to come back to find another Meteor owner :woo:
I wouldn't even think about trying to find a Rotax 637 for the boat with no motor, they are virtually non existent now. I'd just drop in a Yamaha from a waverunner/superjet or something, then you have loads of power and spare parts availability. A nice 650-700cc with 60-75hp should be perfect and go well with the stock jet unit. Should be an easy swap too. Would be interesting to see how the stock jet unit takes a bit more power. Twin stage pump should be good for 75hp. Need to watch the shaft though as have habit of bending. I've swapped the shaft on mine out for a custom Duplex Steel shaft, so definately no worries about bending now but cost a bit. You could swap the jet unit too (i.e. buy a complete drivetrain from a yamaha) this would be the best bet if performance was you aim and no worries about bent shafts. You'd have a VERY fast boat with 75hp.
The seals in the jet that you referred to are probably the wear rings. These are consumable parts that wear over time (between impeller and jet unit housing). Easy to swap out, but you will need to get new ones made up from ABS plastic with the correct clearances. I can get this done for you if you cant find a place that will do it. Otherwise it might be the seals on the thrust bearing or the rear bushing. Both easy to fix.
I'd leave the tank in place, they are glassed in. They are stainless so usually pretty clean inside. Just chuck a couple of in-line filters on before the fuel pump and one between the fuel pump and the carb. You could pull off the fuel line below the tank, throw in some old fuel and flush out into a bucket first if loads of bits in the tank.
You're lucky if the other jet is new. Should turn easily by hand if the shaft is good.
Premix 50:1
Feel free to email me if you need more info: dom100@hotmail.com

Would be great to see some pics.

jonah

Post by jonah »

Hi new to this sight found it very interesting.
I have a meteor very old and needing a lot of work but at a boat jumble some years ago I bought the top and bottom of what I would think is a new one,I have just started to put it all together after finding all the bits at other boat jumbles.
The engine I found is a Rotax 637 but have been unable to fined a manual for it I have all the rest of the bits to finish the work. :wot:
I have the outboard model as well with a 15hp engine on it and that is fun to.
Best wishes Jonah.
Attachments
IMGA1292.JPG

speed lee

Post by speed lee »

hi guys I was browsing around on to find something interesting on my spitfire boat which I have refurbished from scrap. Can anyone tell me some history about these boats and mine is equipped with an evinrude 35hp which became a very fun boat and also very fast :)
lee1.jpg
lee2.jpg
By the way I am a Maltese guy and my boat faces a little bit of rough seas about force 2-3 and it handles very good :) I dont know whether I can find another one for sale for a friend of mine cos I took him a ride and was very impressive and interested. If anyone could help me please

eyuptim

Post by eyuptim »

Hi all, Tim here. Newbie to the forum, as I've just bought what I beLIEVE to be a Meteor, off eBay. Not sure of the condition of anything as I have only seen the listing, and am away working till the end of September, but I was wondering if anyone on this forum knows the boat in question- eBay item no.190881734872. I'm pretty sure it ha the Rotax type 637 engine, but the mag/CDI appears to be US.., a common problem, I think!!
I'll post some pics and more info when I get home, but am looking forward to this project very much.
Cheers, Tim.