A warning if using tank sealer

Want to talk about classic motorboats, recent and forthcoming CMBA events or your latest escapades? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

A warning if using tank sealer

Post by Alacrity »

Ten years or so ago a member Mike T restored his Albatross Continental & whilst doing so he thought it would be a good idea to make double sure he had no leaks from his fuel tank by coating the inside with 'Slosh sealer'. Fair enough. Fast forward to 2013 & he started to get the odd bit of debris in his filter through from the tank. He thought the sealant was parting company from the inside of the tank so he removed the tank & I have taken it to my 'ali man' who has removed the bottom & it turns out Mike wasn't wrong, see pics below. I am guessing it is possibly due to the ethanol content in today's petrol.

So be warned - you could make a lot of trouble for yourself.
Attachments
IMG_0075.JPG
IMG_0076.JPG
IMG_0077.JPG
IMG_0074.JPG
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

catweazle
CMBA Member: 0

Re: A warning if using take sealer

Post by catweazle »

the new formula is ok for ethanol i am told.

Allymally
CMBA Member: 0

Re: A warning if using take sealer

Post by Allymally »

I have seen this useless tank sealer! it had been used on a Ferrari 250 GTO petrol tank which I had to repair, No adhesion what so ever.
I Have used an aircraft sealant in the past PR1005L PRC-Desoto International . It has been in the tank for about 15 years so far! but that was done on a new tank before any petrol had been used.