Want to talk about classic motorboats, recent and forthcoming CMBA events or your latest escapades? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Johng
CMBA Member: 0

Re: newbie

Post by Johng »

ok an update, I have brought two Wise seats, in blue and silver, on offer at 95£ a pair.. I need 4 really, 2 pairs back to back, but will see what the first two look like.. I cant believe 4 seats cost me twice what the boat, engine and trailer costs ! :grrr: :wot: my original plan was some car bucket seats, but these should be more suitable and also allow my access to the back of the boat (they are not as wide as car seats it seems)

I have found a company to make my screen, dark 3mm perspex cut and delivered, for £74... I dont think I will find it much cheaper really.... the good thing is they only sell me what I need, whereas originally the company I found could only offer 3x2m for £200 uncut!

John

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

my original plan was some car bucket seats
Oh dear. Not a good way to go John, what you have done is the right thing to do. :perfect:
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

Johng

Post by Johng »

yep point taken :)

forgot myself there.. sorry everyone :O

Johng

Post by Johng »

folks, blog is quickly updated..

can you all think how high your shoulders / head are in relation to your boats? I know mine has quite high sides/gunwhales? but I sat on my new seat and felt pretty tall!

any other comments on the July 1st entry, very welcome,
John

http://old-speedboat.blogspot.com/

floater
CMBA Member: 90

Post by floater »

John

I have a similar problem to yours, need screen, seats etc, we have been in contact regarding your screen already, and the price you have been quoted for yours is a bargain.
My boat came with Wise seats but I have removed them because I was worried about sliding off in the rough (fnarr fnarr) I have been scouring ebay for bucket seats and have found these
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Motorcycle-side-c ... C294%3A200
at £70 ea they are about the same width as the wise ones but seem to offer more support. My plan is to use a pair similar to these, Idealy Corbeau classic bucket seats with headrests which measure about 750mm tall, and make up a bench seat for the back.
As for the height, most small boats have the seats fitted almost on the floor with your legs out in front and you looking over the screen. A look through the photo gallery on the site would probably be a good start.

As an aside for anyone to answer where do boat interiors go? I see a lot of boats on ebay and other sites with no interior furnishings where do they go?

DH

Johng

Post by Johng »

Hi Dave,

Yep pleased with the screen quote, thanks for getting me to shop around! I am going to alter your template a touch and then just go for it.. I need a touch more overall length, and the final parts of the sides need to be an inch higher.. I curve the top edge too, and that should be that :)

I am mildy concerned my seats wont offer too much lateral support.. will wait and see... as for height.. I have a kind of rectange of box-section fibreglass, moulded into the floor of the boat.. it's sacrilege, but I may cut this away, so the seats are 3 inches lower and therefore completely on the floor.. I guess the original seat's bases were a lot thinner.. it also depends on how the boat sits in the water.. if the front is high, then being up high may not be a bad thing.. I think an hour on the water before I go cutting things up is the anwer :)

John

floater
CMBA Member: 90

Post by floater »

John

Good luck with the screen, my material has arrived now and I am waiting until I feel brave before I go cutting it. I'm also concerned about fitting it and think I will need one of these blazing hot days to give me the best chance of making the curve without cracking. I also need to sort out a seal for the bottom edge where it meets the upswept deck and a trim fot the top edge.

I would certainly hold off cutting away any fibreglass until you are sure, 10 mins to remove 2 days to replace. the wise seats are probably only a couple of inches higer in the padding than the originals if that and may sag after some use. I suggest bolt them to the existing pedestals and see how you get on for a few months.

DH

Johng

Post by Johng »

hi all.. my boat got rained on today.. I notice the internal fibreglass floor has no way of draining out into the hull.. (if it did, I could raise the boat on the jockey and empty it out of the hole at the bottom of transom...) but the water is just staying on top of the floor.. in a well at the back.

I ahve previsouly checked for drain holes blocked but there is nothing..

Does this seem normal ?
John

Johng

progress...

Post by Johng »

well.. a couple of weeks on..

I now have a steering helm, a teleflex cable, courtesy of Broombroom :) - not fitted yet

4 brand new seats.. I hope the lack of side support in them is not going to be a problem. - not fitted yet

The suzuki outboard is still only firing on one, dut to a problem with the CDI box.. £100 replacement :( -

The screen I sourced for £75 cut and and delivered, has gone up to £101 delivered.. exchanging the word acrylic for polycarb has caused that. not cut or fitted yet

The boat-upper has been flatted, and after applying some primer/filler, hundreds of the dreaded pin holes have shown up :( I have gone round with some putty and filled all the groups I could see.. another flatting awaits...

The remote control issue hasn't been sorted yet, although I have my eye on a couple..

The cables for that should be on their way to me already..

The internal floor has not been touched much.. I think I will get the outside fininshed then concentrate on the inside..

The trailer needs a decent light board, some mudgaurds and marker lights as a minimum..

it's all costing a bit, and worse, taking a long time.. I have other projects on as well which doesn't help.. I was so desperate to get in the water a few times this year but it feels like it;s slipping away a bit :(

John

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Hang in there, is always a huge effort. Are Suzuki cables Morse? I think this is a Morse box made by Ultraflex...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...