Oulton Broad meet up and "High Speed Testing"

Want to talk about classic motorboats, recent and forthcoming CMBA events or your latest escapades? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

73miss
CMBA Member: 763

Oulton Broad meet up and "High Speed Testing"

Post by 73miss »

I have had a chat with LOBMBC club officials with a view to running a tie in with an event they hold in September each year.

The Lowestoft and Oulton Broad Motor Boat Club will be holding their Battle of Britain race meeting at OB on Sunday 13th September. They are keen to have us there with not only a static display but also to possibly put on a bit of a show for the punters.

What I am proposing is a meet up at OB on the Friday evening with a gentle potter around the broad and a few beers.

Saturday would be a longer run up to St Olaves (birthplace of the Albatross) or somewhere similar for lunch and more beers.

Sunday would be a static display on the park next to the Broad and hopefully a few high speed laps - for testing purposes only of course - and a chance to show of our boats to a few thousand spectators. They have a couple of classic hydros who would possibly join us for the Sunday. I also had a chat with somebody, (whose name I have already forgotten) who has a new build of Yarmouth Maid, a Merc Twister powered Hydro, which I think was raced by Norman Archer in the late 60s early 70s. They are also planning a new build of something else (bit of a secret really) but will be 3.5l V8 powered.

There are a few issues that need to be ironed out, not least of which is that it will need RYA approval and obviously we need to give the club as much time as possible to sort this out.

Before I go too much further with this, I would like to get some ideas of number who would be willing to take part.

Andy

assegai
CMBA Member: 0

Re: Oulton Broad meet up and "High Speed Testing"

Post by assegai »

This could be of interest to us with the Tremlett. Keep us posted.
Cheers.

se7en
CMBA Member: 434

Post by se7en »

I'd be interested, I could bring our "JINX" and/or our Donoratico

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

And me, could bring the Stapely or a Broom.
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

puddleduck
CMBA Member: 80

Post by puddleduck »

Sod's law, got a wedding down here that weekend and I'm tied up with the Southampton Boat Show. Really wanted to take Thunderbolt to Oulton too. Oh well. :(

yogibear

Post by yogibear »

Well.......... I s'pose I could manage a lap or two if you really really twist my arm and I might even tow Andy back to the pits afterwards ;)

MAW

Post by MAW »

Hi,

Could I join in this event as a 'still to sign up' member? I'm tied up on the Saturday - but could come along with my family's recently restored Yarecraft on the Sunday. (Tarka - there are pictures in the user gallery).

I don't know about a "high speed run" though - normal power is a 5.5hp Seahorse. We should have the 15 hp Gale running by then though - although I doubt it will be exactly Formula 1...

Best,
Mark Wells
(PS Whatever happened to the Fritton Lake events?)