Glastron CV19. Restoration Project.

Want to talk about classic motorboats, recent and forthcoming CMBA events or your latest escapades? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

miniman1983
CMBA Member: 0

Glastron CV19. Restoration Project.

Post by miniman1983 »

Hello to one and all,

Im very new to this forum, infact just a few moments ago.

I was hunting around for a motor boat for sometime and Yesterday I won an auction on ebay for a Glastron CV19.
Im now thinking it was a moment of madness as Im thinking when will I find the time to restore her to her former glory.

Anyway its basically a basketcase without an engine so I am looking for a few contacts and help along the way.
I understand they are American made and as such, Im thinking spares will be hard to find?
Do I need to source a particular engine or can I just attatch an outboard to the back? They were originally a jet powered boat
so I would like to restore it as original but I think this will come down to cost!

Kind Regards

Richard

solitaire
CMBA Member: 511

Re: Glastron CV19. Restoration Project.

Post by solitaire »

Hi Miniman - the Glastron CV19 can be a very nice boat - I'm a bit of a Glastron fan (nut) myself - (there are quite a few pics of Solitaire - my CVX16 on this site if you do a search) - is yours currently an outboard boat or was it an inboard - Jet or sterndrive?
Glastrons like all other 60'/70's boats can suffer pretty badly with soggy floors and weak transoms if they are left to the elements, but you can be lucky and get a well preserved one as I did - - I'm more than happy to discuss them over the phone or even take a look at yours if you are local to OX13 area (Oxon)
If your a CMBA member - send a PM with contact details

miniman1983

Post by miniman1983 »

Hello Solitaire,

Many thanks for the response. Im yet to pick the boat up, I will collect it this week so will know more once Ive stripped it down.

I dont know anything about boats but I am handy and have restored a few classic cars before. This boat has been left out to the elements
so I will need to make a decision if its practical for me to restore. I do intend to but if its going to cost more than ive got I might have to put it on hold for a while.

Unfortunately Im not exactly local to you, Im in Birmingham. Im not a CMBA member....YET!

Here is a link to the ebay item. There are some poor photos on there.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Speedboat-Boa ... 389wt_1399

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Solitaire and me were despairing about this one. It looked like someone wanted the engine and drive more than the boat and got a chainsaw out. At one stage I had a CV16-SS with Mercruiser and outdrive, so I know they're lovely boats when up and running. I don't want to scare you, but this one will be both expensive and time-consuming to fix and the market in classic boats is always more fickle than the car market. Cost it all up (exclude your time... :hmmm: ) and you'll have an idea. The best CV-19 will not make a lot of money - perhaps £3500-4000 if it's really together - a bit more if original and in the league of Solitaire's boat. If you decide to go ahead, there's lots of knowledge here.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Scandal
CMBA Member: 538

Post by Scandal »

Hi and welcome to classic boat ownership and great fun it is too.

The CMBA are displaying a wide variety of classic speed boats next Sunday at the Beaulieu Boat Jumble, including the fabulous Bluebird K3. It would be a great place to visit and look at what spares are available for your boat. You could also meet some of our members with the displays who would be pleased to show you round our exhibits, and love to talk about any aspect of classic boats and their engines.

Membership of the club is very worthwhile for anyone interested in classic speedboats, we organise a good number of meetings throughout the year on and off the water and have a great members quarterly colour magazine, all for £30.

Hope to see you and your boat soon,

Kind regards

Alisdair Lamplugh

solitaire
CMBA Member: 511

Post by solitaire »

I did fogot to mention -this - but am cure as a "Glastron owner"! you will be aware of the Classic Glastron Owners site - Massive! - mostly USA ,but with a small European section, - but ton's of stuff - even video footage of floor and transom replacement = it's all there somewhere

here is the link

http://www.classicglastron.com/phpbb/in ... 8c672d7a7c

JetDriver

Post by JetDriver »

Up for sale again. Shortest ownership ever? :roll:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... SS:GB:3160
1977 Almarine Meteor Jetboat Restoration http://almarinemeteor.blogspot.com/

miniman1983

Post by miniman1983 »

Quite possibly!

Ive got the CV19 home and realised this is just too much work for me to take on at the moment.
My friend has listed this on ebay for me as I have stored it on his farm and already he is giving me grief!

Im looking to cover my costs, no profit. The trailer is very good and Im certain with time and effort the Glastron
could see the water again. If anyone is genuinely interested and would like to come and look at the boat please feel free to drop me
a line, im a nice guy and I might even make you a cuppa aswell. Kind Regards

Richard 07737119403